Celeron Processor for recording

blinddogblues

How well will an inexpensive off-the-shelf computer with a Celeron processor work as a basic recording unit? I know it depends on the sound card, etc., but generally I would like to know if this is feasible. Say a Celeron @1Ghz w/256 megs ram.

a Celeron 1ghz is capable of being a pretty damn good machine.....i have a 500 mhz celeron on a crappy motherboard and i can easily get 16-24 tracks with quite a few plugins....

A Celeron 1GHz would indeed be a very good recording CPU. I've personally recorded on a Celeron 466@525 and a Celeron 566@638, and I've had good results.

It's also a good idea to get a Tualatin-compatible motherboard like the TUSL-2, if possible. I use a Biostar motherboard, myself. I plan to upgrade to a PIII Tualatin as soon as the price comes down a bit more.

AMD Durons are actually faster than the equivalent Celeron, for a bit cheaper.

They're faster by about 20%. I'll see if I can find the article where I read that.

On the flipside, they're harder to find compatible sound cards for.

I know the Audiophile will work fine with the VIA chipset, as does the Echo products.

I've contacted both companies in regards to that.

Believe it or not, but I'm recording ona 266Mhz Celeron and I can get up to 10-12 tracks (with a few effects) with no real problems.
Any decent Celeron would make a nice recording PC.

Oren

I also use a Celeron 766 and so far I've had no major problems to report. I can get about 24 tracks with a few plug ins. There are less compatibilty issues than with AMD's.

Back