Ceilng tiles on walls?

Chattbox1

I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on installing armstrong acoustic ceiling tiles as a final wall covering. I can not afford oc 703 nor can I spare the space as the room is small enough as it is. I am trying to avoid useing sheetrock all together, so I've insulated between studs, installed 1/2 osb and the final layer would be ceiling tiles glued to the osb. I was going to use homasote, but the tile is less expensive with a more visualy apealing look.

I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on installing armstrong acoustic ceiling tiles as a final wall covering.

It's a bad idea and may possibly make your room worse than it is with bare walls. If you can't afford the proper materials, save up until you can rather than make a mess and risk worse sound.

--Ethan

Absortion coefficients

-------------------125 Hz-250 Hz 500 Hz 1000 Hz 2000 Hz 4000 Hz
Acoustic Ceiling Tiles 0.70 --0.66 --0.72 ---0.92 ---0.88 ---0.75

Sheetrock ---------- 0.29 --0.10 --0.05 ---0.04 ---0.07 ---0.09

So, I may not have made my intentions clear. I want to use the tiles instead of sheet rock and then tune the room with treatments and bass traps. based on the coefficient data I do not see how the tiles could make the room sound worse than sheetrock, I might as well hang glass on the walls with these types of coefficient ratings. I'd love to save up to buy 703, but all I can find localy is 48 case min at $100 a case and I (my wife) will never justify $4800 for the room I'm currently working with. So from a budget perspective based on the data this to me seems like a viable solution. Is my logic flawed :confused:

-------------------125 Hz-250 Hz 500 Hz 1000 Hz 2000 Hz 4000 Hz
Acoustic Ceiling Tiles 0.70 --0.66 --0.72 ---0.92 ---0.88 ---0.75
Those must be some amazing magical ceiling tiles to absorb that much at 125 Hz!

all I can find localy is 48 case min at $100 a case and I (my wife) will never justify $4800 for the room I'm currently working with.
Keep looking. There are places that sell much smaller quantities. Try here:

http://www.spi-co.com/servicecenterdirectory.cfm

--Ethan

We put some acoustic ceiling tiles on the walls in our practice room. I wouldn't say the room sounds "good" but before we put them up the high frequency reflections were so bad in there it just sounded like an ear piercing sonic whirlwind at any volume above a whisper. Now it's tolerable. I got the tiles for free though. I don't know if I would pay for them.

I do not see how the tiles could make the room sound worse than sheetrock,
Neither do I. BUT...
I am trying to avoid useing sheetrock all together, so I've insulated between studs, installed 1/2 osb and the final layer would be ceiling tiles glued to the osb.
:eek:EXCUSE ME?
Is this in a residential HABITAL SPACE? I believe your local BID(building Inspection Department)may have a different opinion. Even if they don't know, why are you jeprodising your homeowners INSURANCE?:eek::eek:...er...you DO own this don't you? Or did you jeprodize someone ELSES insurance, not to mention placing them in jeprody with not only potential fire hazard, but BID as well should something happen...LIKE A FIERE???:rolleyes: Don't you know that using DRYWALL is to protect fire from spreading to other spaces because of its FIRE RATING??? OR...its ABSORPTION COEFFICIENT by virtue of being a MEMBRANE ABSORBER...ie...BASS TRAP??:rolleyes: Too bad. Sometimes, brilliant insight by virtue of DIY guessing or NON EXISTANT KNOWLEGE can be detremental to ones health as well as taking advantage of common knowlege among studio builders. Oh well. Good luck with the tiles. BTW, I know someone who has a ton of EGGCRATES for sale too!;)

Another point to consider... No one plans to bump things into their walls but it happens, Sheetrock is a lot harder than ceiling tiles and much more durable. Bump into a sheetrock wall and you get a dent and maybe a little dust, bump ceiling tile and it crumbles. You seem adverse to using sheetrock, maybe you could use particle board, chip board or even plain old ply wood. If you are determined to use ceiling tile, only use it on the top half of the wall, it wont get bumped as much. For what it's worth, I blocked a double window in my control room by covering the space with 5/8 plywood then a layer of ceiling tile, it worked pretty well for this.

Back