Ceiling - pitched or flat?

soundhound

We had an electrical fire and are reconstructing the converted garage where I have my studio. It's not a perfect environment or anything, one of the walls is floor to ceiling glass doors and another is a glass garage door. It's a great room to write in, but not a study in great acoustics or anything.

We had to raise the pitch of the roof to get it up to code, and we were going to drywall along the beams below, which is how the room was before, a flat ceiling. But we realize we could put the drywall on the pitched roof (there will be insulation above) and have the roof pitched and make the room feel nicer. The beams would remain.

My question is, is having a pitched ceiling, with beams running across every few feat, better or worse than a flat ceiling for sound in a room, in general?

thanks!

If the beams are exposed, then you have multiple 'corners' that need trapping. A flat no-beam ceiling pitched is good (parallel surfaces - floor to ceiling - are not as good).

I ended up doing a pitched ceiling in my room and it does sound better. It was a flat 7'8" ceiling before.
I insulated and sheet-rocked it and my drums definitely sound better in there than before.

Pitched will also give a sense of space, it will feel better. I would not worry about the beams too much sound wise at this stage. You can also fix some absorbers to the pitched ceiling if required.

Alan.

I get you now - the beams are where the old ceiling was, the new ceiling, pitched, above those. I was thinking the beams were exposed along the new ceiling.

Yup that's right. Sorry I wasn't being clear (my specialty!) . So it sounds like the consensus is that the pitched ceiling is better than the flat ceiling, or at least not any worse. Good news, since it would make the room more open and pleasant.

I get you now - the beams are where the old ceiling was, the new ceiling, pitched, above those. I was thinking the beams were exposed along the new ceiling.

Back