ceiling height?

Chris Jahn

Im moving to a new house, and will have tons of square footage to build a nice studio in the basement, BUT the ceilings are very low, like not even seven ft i dont think, i know this is BAD, but how bad, how much does the height of the ceiling effect your sound?

What will be the live room is about 15x25, so i fell ive got plenty of left to right back and forth, but no up, am i screwed??

PS:i was thinking of looking into busting up the concrete and lowering the floor to solve the problem, anyone ever go that extreme!!!!

I have a 19x30x 7'2" room up above my det. gar. It's okay as it is, but I plan on treating the ceiling as much as possible to make it as invisible accoustically as I can. I'm keeping the floors bare hardwood-- I think that if the room has strong floor reflections, it will sound natural, and those reflections will overpower the ceiling ones that will still get through the 2" and 1" 703 that I am hanging.

My friend in Philly dug down his basement, but more to make room for it as a performance space than as a recording space. I say don't bother. Just treat the ceiling between the joists and enjoy.

If you have a low ceiling, kill it dead, at a minimum above your mix and drum positions. That will take away more of your ceiling height--I would try for 2" fiberglass all around, but it will help immensely.

Lowering the slab will be very expensive. It would be cheaper to tear off the ceiling, insulate between the joists, and leave that as a finished surface. You will lose isolation, but you can add drywall between the joists to get a bit of isolation back.

take all the money that would have been spent on re-doing the floor and put it in an account. Spend it on better isntruments and equipment.

mshilarious said:
If you have a low ceiling, kill it dead, at a minimum above your mix and drum positions. That will take away more of your ceiling height--I would try for 2" fiberglass all around, but it will help immensely.

+1

If you think about it, a ceiling that absorbs 100 percent is acoustically identical to a ceiling that's infinitely high. Either way, sound goes up and never comes back. And who doesn't want an infinitely high ceiling! :D

--Ethan

Back