Cecilia Ann Cover

saads

Baka
My cover of Cecilia Ann. It's by the Surftones, but the Pixies version is more popular. Any mixing advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• Cecila Ann cover.mp3
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
Nope - the volume is fine. The lead instruments could use something to make them stand out in front a bit more.
The snare is well, pretty boxy or something but it stands out well. I'm wondering if maybe some panning would open this mix up a bit as everything kinda mushed together. The playing is good just need to tweak the mix a bit .....

Can you provide some details as to the instruments/amplifiers/effects you are using?

I'd like to hear it by the Pixies. Now that I've heard yours I mean. Swap out the snare for something else. Compare the two sounds. Which is better? If you don't have that option, then take the verb off the snare and compare. Which one's better?

Okay, now do another song, and come back to this one in three weeks. Work on it again. That's what I'd do.

The drums sound really distant rather than punchy and in your face. Have you put in much reverb on them, or were they mic'd with relatively distant mics? I reckon you need a bit more mid in the rhythm guitars, and less spring reverb. Lead guitar needs a bit of presence to it too.

Nope - the volume is fine. The lead instruments could use something to make them stand out in front a bit more.
The snare is well, pretty boxy or something but it stands out well. I'm wondering if maybe some panning would open this mix up a bit as everything kinda mushed together. The playing is good just need to tweak the mix a bit .....

Can you provide some details as to the instruments/amplifiers/effects you are using?

Sure, it was all pretty basic, nothing fancy. 2 guitars one on either side, and a bass in the middle with guitar rig on everything, lead guitar too. Drums are acoustic recorded with 4 mics, modified recorderman. The synths are off a Yamaha PSR directly into the soundcard. I used plenty of reverb on everything, since the Pixies version has a lot. I panned the guitars extreme left and right, synths are 30 on each side, overheads extreme right and left. What do you suggest I do differently panning wise? Thanks for your input!

I'd like to hear it by the Pixies. Now that I've heard yours I mean. Swap out the snare for something else. Compare the two sounds. Which is better? If you don't have that option, then take the verb off the snare and compare. Which one's better?

Okay, now do another song, and come back to this one in three weeks. Work on it again. That's what I'd do.

Here is the Pixies version: YouTube - PIXIES -"Cecilia Ann" (1990)
You're right about the snare, I was having a lot of trouble with it. I played it a little too loud in some places and a little too soft in others, so I kinda went heavy on the compression and it basically sounded bad. I guess I could just replace it with a sampled snare? I'll take your advice on the coming back to the song, thanks for listening!

The drums sound really distant rather than punchy and in your face. Have you put in much reverb on them, or were they mic'd with relatively distant mics? I reckon you need a bit more mid in the rhythm guitars, and less spring reverb. Lead guitar needs a bit of presence to it too.

They were mic'd fine (I think) , but you're right about the verb, I might have overdone it. What do you think is distant, snare, kick, overheads, or all of it?
I took out a lot of the mids in the rhythm so the bass would stand out, but if it's sounding too weak I'll raise em. Thanks!

I think that the whole kit is a too distant to be brutally honest, except maybe for the kick which I quite like.
:)

Ah ok. I guess I'll cut a bit of the reverb and raise the volume, not sure what else I can do.

Back