CE 96 skips while recording

trdn1

Here's the situation: Two instances of CE are open, one playing a music track, the other recording the vocals - to be later inserted. Sometimes the playback skips, or gets stuck and repeats a small section while recording, which in turn, leaves gaps in the vocal recording. Has anyone else encountered this? Many good takes had to be thrown out due to this. I have since opened up more space on my hard drive, but have yet to record again.

- - I know this is a CEP category, but i figured you guys could help me here too...thanks

not so much here, or here, but right here...

not CE so much as my computer. I think that CE with a fast enough processor can be as good as anything ANYTHING else out there. and i'm in the process of proving it right now...stay tuned...

yeah he's right the better the processor and the more memory and hd space the better off youll be. I had a similar problem when trying to record a track while the other would be playing it would give an internal error and close out. But I went and bought a nice western Digital 30gig hd and havent had a problem since im also running at 300mhz w/128 megs of mem. that might help. Also optimize your buffer settings in CE.

Later
Dioxide

It is possible that you have your buffer set to small and need to enlarge it a little instead of 10mb set it to 12 and give that a try you will find it in your options settings. I am running a 450 pent II with a 5400rpm harddrive and also noticed this happening. It may not be the processor but the speed of the harddrive and increasing the buffer to your ram may let it catch up. I began using a jukebox recorder and encodeing at 320kps while recording and found this to work for me. Then I use a utility pgm to convert it to .wav files and I have a backup that don't clutter my harddrive. it may work for you remember that you will loose a little on each end of the sound when you record in this manner. I would also like to add that I am also only using this on a mono or stereo recording.

Here's the situation: Two instances of CE are open, one playing a music track, the other recording the vocals - to be later inserted. Sometimes the playback skips, or gets stuck and repeats a small section while recording, which in turn, leaves gaps in the vocal recording. Has anyone else encountered this? Many good takes had to be thrown out due to this. I have since opened up more space on my hard drive, but have yet to record again.

- - I know this is a CEP category, but i figured you guys could help me here too...thanks

[Edited by mapeterson on 11-24-2000 at 23:24]

Well, to your credit, I run Cool Edit Pro with a Dell XPS 550, 256 Mb, and a decent hard drive (actually, I don't know about that). I also record using an MD-8, so when I come back to master our 2-track recordings, I'd much rather let it run for 74 minutes and start chopping from there.

But I, too, get chops and deletes on occasion, and I'm always messing around with the configuration to get it right. My brother started an alternate "user" in Win98, and never really did anything with it, so I put a shortcut to CEP and use that "version" of 98 when I'm recording.

I've got like 15 icons in my taskbar, so I figure that's what is screwing everything up...

Okay, I'll bite - how do you get rid of icons in your toolbar? I know, I know - I should know how to do this already...

First, you go "start"-->Startup--> and theres a bunch of things that Load automatically on startup. Delete all unnecessary items. My startup folder contains Adobe Gamma Loader and my Mixtreme Software. Anything in here can be hand loaded at will(these are shortcuts) so delete away.

SOME programs are trickier... they plant their start commands in the system registry or some shit. Uninstall these and never install them again. Or dig thru their settings and unclick the box that says "run on startup" and if all else fails, do the CAMN PATENETED WINDOWS CRIPPLE METHOD, as follows:
find the program msconfig
run it
create a backup
delete all useless shit from all registries, ESPECIALLY the Startup one
Resart

My taskbar has My mixtreme icon, my clock(which Ive heard can mess you up, but doesnt to me) My Keyboard software, and an antivirus program (NOT norton). No realplayer, no SmartTicker, noweather forecaster, no dancing snakes and NO useless crap.

good luck, and godspeed.

xoxo

Okay.

From left to right on my taskbar:

1) Task Scheduler (McAfee)
2) McAfee VShield
3) Volume
4) Quicken Background Download Manager (yeah, I know...)
5) Winamp Agent (again, I know...)
6) Display Settings Shortcut (I DO use this)
7) SETI (which gets turned off for recording)
8) SideWinder Joystick something-or-rather (I don't even know where the joystick IS)
9) McAfee Virus Scan Scheduler
10) WinRam Turbo Pro
11) SB Live! [1420]
12) "online" icon
13) MSN Messenger

Sometimes:

14) Yahoo Messenger
15) Outlook Express mail icon

Yep. 15.

Ive never tried it... but maybe you could set up an alternate login identity who uses #3 and #11, for recording only....or just use the camnpatented windows crippler to destroy all those icons.

xoxo

Back