CDs That Play On Anything?

Nalencer

Whenever I burn a CD, it will play on my computer and one or the other of my players, but never both. They're CD-Rs. The ones I burn on my computer work on one stereo, the ones I burn on my mixing board work on the other stereo. Dunno what other info I can give. What gives?

You need to use CD-Rs that are made for music playback. Usually they are marked "Music". I have been using Memorex.

The other thing is to make sure you are burning actual "music" CDs and not simply transferring files (Data CD). I use "Roxio" software to do this.

All of my Memorex music CDs will play in any CD player or PC.

ZenFly said:
You need to use CD-Rs that are made for music playback. Usually they are marked "Music". I have been using Memorex.

The other thing is to make sure you are burning actual "music" CDs and not simply transferring files (Data CD). I use "Roxio" software to do this.

All of my Memorex music CDs will play in any CD player or PC.

Isn't it true that some places (e.g., the U.K.) sell two types of CD-R's and CD-RW's; one type which is meant for recording data and the other for recording music?

gvdv said:
Isn't it true that some places (e.g., the U.K.) sell two types of CD-R's and CD-RW's; one type which is meant for recording data and the other for recording music?

CD-R = write once
CD-RW = rewritable

Older CD players will just not neccesarily play burned CDs.

You have to dump your old equipment or at least realize that they just will not play burned CDs and stick to the ones that do.

I used Nero and converted MP3s of the band for a demo CD. It wouldn't play in the OEM CD changer in my wife's trailblazer. I'd really like to figure out what the problem is since we are giving these to bar owners who I can't count on having the latest and greatest CD players. IF I figure it out, I'll post a reply.

The "music" type blanks are meant for domestic "hi-fi" CD burners. These machines won't accept an ordinary CD-r or r/w. This may only be a European thing. The Music blanks carry a copyright fee in their price the same as blank cassette tapes do. I've heard there is actually no mechanism in place to distribute this money to the music industry! The completed music CD should be no more or less compatable than an ordinary disk made in a computer burner.

Either type of disk should playback in most players but it is very easy to create a disk that isn't compatable if not careful.

Key is the disk should be burned "disk at once" (DAO) and NOT "Track at once" (TAO). The disk must also be "Finalised" (no further writing possible).

If you explore a completed music CD in a PC, you should see a simple list of the files...
Track1.cda
Track2.cda
...etc.
If you don't see this, it isn't an audio CD.

I also read suggestions that cheap CDs are the ones that are likely to not play on all players. Typical solution. Throw more money at the problem!

The black CD-Rs seemed to get good results. Since this is promotional and they look cool, I'm gonna buy a pack and try it out.

I copied an entire CD and that one will actually play in the wifey's car, so there may be something wrong with either the conversion process that nero uses or i left the session open or something.

They do make 2 'versions' of CD-R's (in the UK at least) and you get one thats marked 'for music use'. The only difference I have seen is the extra price.

The only think I could think of that may make a difference could be that the 'for music' CD's are recordable at 1X (this just a total guess. I dont have any of those discs to hand cos I dont buy em). Some really old CD players (like an old peice of crap i have lying around) I have found wont play discs you've burned at anything higher than 1X. Its a rare accurance tho, and not really worth paying the extra for a disc that takes longer to burn.

What format are you ripping the music to? MP3 is a problem for some players...especially older units.

Back