CDRW

tmcbrinn

I've been doing lots of research on CDRW's, and I've noticed that I really got to find a detailed list of specs before it says weather or not it is up to Red Book standards. All of them so far have been up to all standards. This leads me to believe that most if the CDRW's out now are up to Red Book, and thats why its so difficult to find this on general specs. Is this a safe assumption? (Obviously I would double check this before I actually bought something)

My understanding of this is that the "redbook spec" is more a software related
function than a hardware. You should be more concerned about the software
you purchase to create CD's than the CDRW when it comes to that spec.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong....I'm certainly no expert at it.

Haven't seen a CDRW disc yet that when written with audio files (.cda) will play anywhere but in the deck that wrote it.

Exactly. A CDRW will burn CD-Rs as well, and those are what you want to be burning to Red Book specs, not actual CD-RW discs.

OOOOOhhhhh. SO I can't burn to a CDRW and have it play anywhere else, I need I CDR disk. That would explain why I have been having such a problem.. I guess CDRW disks is mainly for data then. Thanks DRagon...your the man!

you silly goose... a cd - rw can burn both cd-rs and cd-rws , and usually burn cd-rs faster .. ( 4x rather then 2x ) , not to mention that regular cd-rs are cheaper... i use the cd rw discs for back up and archiving.. for example...i have main folder on my windows desktop... and inside it are many little subfolders for my audio , my accounting , and other important stuff.. once a week , i drag and drop that single main folder into my cd-rw software program and burn it... tada !! instant back up..the software will burn every subfolder and its contents on to my cd rw disc.. and the trick is..every week i just rewrite onto the same cd rw disc , so it saves me some cash...and the hassles of 20 useless cd-rs laying around.. and god forbid one day i boot up and see " operating system not found " i wont flip out again.. ( its happened before ).. i know this is common knowledge for most of you.. but hopefully some of you new to the cd recorder world will find it helpful.. when i first bought my cd rw i went nuts looking for just a cd r to save me some cash...i didnt think i needed a cd rw.. but now that i have a cd rw , im very thankful i never found an old back stocked cd r anywhere... tune in next week for more " almost good advice from eddie " ... same bat time...same bat channel...

- eddie -

i'm looking at buying a new cd-rw, i'm mainly looking at the YAMAHA CRW6416SZ what does everyone think of it?

Back