CDR mastering with lead-ins

Stephen Jones

Hi.
I asked this in the Cakewalk section, but no-one knew so I'll try here. I'm new to the CDR-writing software game...
Anyone know how, when writing a CDR, to get/control a lead-in of time (ie - counted backward) before a song starts? Which programs allow you to do this? It would be great to use this feature when including some neat sonic-y stuff before a particular song I'm working on, and I've seen it done before on commercial CDs.
Thanks.
steve
ps - obviously this would apply to any song on a CDR except the first one.

I use both a MAC and PC and have a Lacie CD writer (which has a Yamaha writer inside), on the MAC the supplied software (Toast) support the feature you mention, on PC the software (Easy CD Creator) doesn't, strangely enough. In Toast you can specify a different offset for each track on the CD, if you want - but I don't know if it's available for PC.

I dont know if this is the same thing youre talking about, but whenever I burn a CD track at once on Easy CD Creator the disks always have the little "-0:02" before starting the next song. I don't really like this feature though, because no matter how clean your recording is, (even on some pro CD's) you can always hear a bit of hiss thats normally not noticeable until the little gap of absolute silence comes in, making any noise on the disk painfully obvious. Whereas if you put the gap into the end of a track and burn the CD disk at once you never hear the change. Just my opinion though.

if first you make sure the files you'll burn to CD fade properly to absolute zero - in whatever wave editor you use - you shouldn't have that problem.

Prassi PrimoCD Plus allows you to adjust the pre-gap for each track with great precision. I haven't tried it out yet, though.

Whoopysnorp said:
Prassi PrimoCD Plus allows you to adjust the pre-gap for each track with great precision. I haven't tried it out yet, though.

The PrimoCD software is now VERITAS RecordNow MAX. Unfortunately, they do not inform of the ability to set track markers at specific locations.

Does anyone know of CD Mastering software that allows one to specifically set track markers? :confused:

Lopp said:

The PrimoCD software is now VERITAS RecordNow MAX. Unfortunately, they do not inform of the ability to set track markers at specific locations.

Does anyone know of CD Mastering software that allows one to specifically set track markers? :confused:

Emagic's Waveburner does exactly that. (Emagic being the German company that also has Logic Audio). You can also drag the songfiles into crossfades, adjust the fade curves, and place the markers exactly where you want them. Nice program, but not really cheap. I have a copy of that on my Mac, but for most burning I use Toast since it's sufficient and hassle-free.

Unless I'm wrong, there's a so-called "pro" version of Adaptec Easy CD Creator that allows you to do the same... At least, it said so on the package... I remember seeing a copy of that in a shop. , but I don't know anyone who tried it so far. I guess more info can be found on their site ?

umm... CDRWIN

you can create your own cue sheet and layout the disks TOC... giving complete control over indexes, subindexes, post gaps, pregaps, etc...

The best PC software I've ever used for CD mastering is CD Architect from Sonic Foundry. This program is amazing...It allows you to make every possible adjustment to your tracks (crossfades, markers, PQ editing/lists, etc), and will even allow you to burn audio in the 'blank space' between tracks (if you want to have some fun and make hidden tracks). The other really nice feature is that it allows you to preview exactly how it will burn to CD without burning it. It has two versions...as a stand-alone program, or as a plugin for Sound Forge 4.0 and 4.5. Unfortunately, it's no longer supported and will only work with older SCSI burners and very few IDE burners. However, there is a way around that. You can create the project within CD Architect, save it, and burn it with Vegas 3.0 which has support for old CD Architect projects. I'm unsure of the availability of this program, as they stopped supporting quite a while ago...but with some digging around, you can probably come up with a copy somewhere. It's worth checking into anyway.

RedNucleus said:
Emagic's Waveburner does exactly that. (Emagic being the German company that also has Logic Audio). You can also drag the songfiles into crossfades, adjust the fade curves, and place the markers exactly where you want them. Nice program, but not really cheap. I have a copy of that on my Mac, but for most burning I use Toast since it's sufficient and hassle-free.

Looks good, but I don't think they have a PC version (which is what I need).

Unless I'm wrong, there's a so-called "pro" version of Adaptec Easy CD Creator that allows you to do the same... At least, it said so on the package... I remember seeing a copy of that in a shop. , but I don't know anyone who tried it so far. I guess more info can be found on their site ?

There might have been. It seems they spun off/sold the software to Roxio. Unfortunately, the Roxio version seems very newbie cheezy. For example, it includes simple photo editing software, etc. Almost more appealing for Grandma to get songs and pictures onto a CD:

http://www.roxio.com/en/products/ecdc/ecdcfeatures.jhtml;jsessionid=PKI4JZJHFPIATJ4YZOUB3KQ

LooneyTunez said:
The best PC software I've ever used for CD mastering is CD Architect from Sonic Foundry.

Yeah. That's good stuff. When I originally checked into it, you had to buy the burner with it. Now it's no longer produced.
:(

Back