CDR burning: rest time between burns?

windowman

I haven't been burning my own CD's for very long so maybe somebody here can tell me whether or not my CD burner needs any rest-time between burns. If so, how long? Or can I for instance burn 3 or 4 CD's before it needs to rest (or cool off maybe) and then for how long etc?

It just seems to me that a lasar needs to cool a bit now and then while burning. I don't know though. I'm on my first burner and don't know that much about it yet.

Thanks a bunch.

Ive NEVER heard anything about CD burners needing to rest. I have owned three and none of the manuals have ever mentioned anything about this either.

No need to let the burner rest, just burn away!!!!!!! (unless you have some ancient obscure model I've never heard of...)
It could be good to restart your computer after say 3-4 burns if your system isn't 100% stable (ie you are using windows :) ). This clears the ram

I have a Sony CRX100E burner. This has been a very stable burner for me for two years now.

I HAVE noticed that after two long burns that here and there, a third burn will fail for some reason if no rest between burns was given. Crazy as that may sound, if I let the burner rest 5 minutes between burns, no problems.

A bit of a rest is a good idea, but I don't think it is because of the lazer needing to cool. I suspect it has something to do with more practical matters, such as the disk spinning continuously for that period of time to the rigid standards that are needed for burning audio CD's. I can imagine the abuse on the motor. I may be wrong here, but my experience with letting the burner rest between burns IS NOT.

Good luck.

Ed

Ed, I also use the CRX100E, and for some reason can only record at 4X. Attempts at 1X, 2X, or MAX cause windows to pass out. Strange.

This reminds me of something else, not entirely related, but somewhat because I initially thought I was getting bad burns: When I try to listen to burns on drive D with headphones via my SB Live Drive, the audio is riddled with cracks and pops. The burns are good and these pops only appear as I described. This is also strange.

both problems don't bother me too much because I haven't ever experienced any errors writing at 4X, and I hardly ever listen to anything through headphones.

windowman-
I've burned continuously in excess of 3 hours and haven't had any problems. Of course, I drove a '72 Dodge Dart without a drop of oil in it for the entire summer of 1988 also, so...

Well, thanks everyone. There seems to be some difference of opinion here. Guess there's a lot to take into consideration; burner brand and age, good dye CDR's, computer HD and OS, etc...

I'll just keep plugging away.

Get that old Dodge some Marvel Mystery Oil fast!

Vurt. It sounds like there may be some DSP that is going on using that headphone amp on the card. Cracks and pops usually mean some kind of underrun in buffers. Way too many things can lead to this, so I won't even try to guess....:)

Your burn speed issues is more then likely due to the brand and type of media you are using. Have you tried it with all the different dye's? Also, you may just be using disks that are not made to burn at the slower speeds. There are certain brands of media that I can only burn at 2X or higher speeds, but NOT 1X speed. Usually this is the cheaper media. So investigate that first.

I don't use the supplied Hotburn software for authoring audio CDR's. I use the software contained in Wavelab, and again, as long as I am using media that CAN burn at 1X speed, it does so just fine. But when I burn data CDR's, I use the Hotburn software, and I always burn data CDR's at 4X speed because there is more robust error checking and correction on when transfering data from a data CD then a audio CD.

While the Sony CRX100E is a very stable burner, it IS older technology, and older IDE CDR burners have their share of squirly problems it would seem.

Ed

Thanks for the info, Ed. I had no idea certain cdr's couldn't burn at slower speeds. I've always just used Memorex discs, but I'll have to try some others next time.

The Sony I have is scsi (it's the usb Spressa) and didn't come with the software you mention, but I do sometimes burn from Wavelab, which seems to work better than the CD extreme software that was included. Speaking of Wavelab, I knew you used it and have been meaning to hit you up with a bunch of questions, but I'll open a new thread at a later date. Hope you don't mind. From what I've been able to accomplish, it's wonderful, but I just half-ass it for the most part and know I'm not using it to it's full potential.

thanks again...

Adam

Back