Cd ?

etunes

When recording music to a cd, is it the software or the cd format (RW or R), or the burner that is a problem for some cd players?

I have Sony abCD 1.5 software that came with my Sony CDRW 8x/4x/32x that I use to make cd's but it won't play on some players. I am using RW's. Should I use R's?

Is there other software I can use to make cd's that is free or cheap and will work on all players?

This is a hardware and/or media issue. Only the most recently made CD players will (in general) recognize an RW disc, and occasionally you'll find some combination of writer/media/player that just won't work for audio CDs. Data CDs are generally a lot more forgiving.

Someday they'll get this issue resolved.
Right about the time this format becomes obsolete, probably.

CD won't play

I've run across the same problem in the past.
Definitely use CDR's
Amongst all the good name brands out there, Maxell, Fuji, Memorex, whatever, I've personally found the Maxell CD-R74's to be compatible with most machines. I'm sure other's are too, but hey..these work for me, and I haven't had any rejects in the form of disc players.
If your recorder is a stand alone unit, be sure the CDR's specify "MUSIC".

Older CD players won't recognize CDRW media, so use CDR's,

but believe it or not, the some of the newest players are coming out as DVD/CD/SACD/CDR/CDRW/MP3 compatible.

It is a little of both. The main reason that CD player's won't read CDRW's is because of the table of content's that is written and also the thickness of the ink media used in cdrw's when you burn a cdrw your burner program write's a bit of info in the contents letting your Cd rom know it's a cdrw and also the bit is pre written when you buy it. When useing a CDR it writes the table of contents just as a normal CD like any other. All CDR's have a bit of info pre written into them telling the speed and mb's of the media which your writer reads when you put it in. If you try to save data on an audio cdr it will give you an error on most recorder's but will let you save a .cda file in which your software converts for you from .wav to .cda. As far as media brands what ever works for you and can be read by most recorder's. I have tried alot of them most newer player's will read most any media as long as it is recorded correct that I have found anyway. But I do have a CD Rom drive for my home stereo that is picky and only like's silver's with the very very light green dye it won't read the drk blue's or gold's. I would try a few of the ones mentioned and stay away from the big spindle packs till you find the one-s that work for you and on your burner and the CDRW's are actually kinda of a waste in my opinion because the CDR's are so cheap usually 3 or more cdr's for the cost of 1 cdrw when you find the ones that work you can probably find them for no more then around 50 cents apiece or less in a spindle pack.

Just a tid bit of info that will mabey help understand the process and some answers to questions that I too had in my experience.:D

Back