CD-RW/Wav files

BLISS

Slackmaster:

so stop the drag-n-stop shit, o.k.
Closing the session,means the table of content is burned to the disk, also on my CD player, it shows a number as if to read, but it counts to 00:08 the stops whewwww! I'll have to check this stuff out when I get home
but I am greatful to all that have responded.

The disk to record on should be CDR not CDRW
my CD player will not play CDRW, also my computer didnt play the recorded source either. (Praying) I hope I get this, or I will just have to stick to recording to DAT
any other advice is welcomed ---

Thanks fellas

O.k. I purchased an internal CD-RW, the software to burn is called NERO (comes with CDR package. The function states I can drag wav. file over to the NERO burner, I go to file, hit write cd, and vwala it does it, problem is, I cant hear jack diddly when I play it back, on my stereo, in the CD drive, nothing. I am using Cubase VST for my songs
if it turns out I installed this thing and it doesnt work (well %#^&*@* itch)

the CD-RW is CD Speedwriter 32 4xwrite,4xrewrite,32xplayback, it was a good deal $199 with (tech support) I called them to, but I have to be at my computer for them to walk me through, but I'm at work now so. Oh! and my computer is Compaqpresario5280 (really fast)

any solutions ?

Good question, I'll have to look into that
cause I have really no idea what the wav. file is, (I think it is 44.1KHz) I remember seeing that. As to if I'm closing the session on the CD? I dont understand

Heh, it sounds to me like it's probably creating the track just peachy, but it's not closing the session (which you wouldn't want it to do by default), as sonusman said.

"Closing the session" means that the table of contents (TOC) is burned to the disk, after which point you can no longer write to the disk anymore. You can't play a CDR that doesn't have a TOC...that still has an "open session".

What concerns me, however, is that you say you "can't hear anything"....does your CD player show the tracks? That'd be weird.

Also, you better make sure that it's creating an audio track from that wave, and not just copying the wave as a data file (yes, there is a difference).

Finally, the disk must be a CDR and not a CDRW. Your CD player will not play CDRW. If your computer CDROM plays them then you're lucky.

I would avoid the whole drag-n-drop shit and just use the software's UI to do everything the old fashioned way.

Slackmaster 2000

Hey Bliss,
Sounds to me like you are burning a backup disk and not an audio disk. You say you drag and drop a wave file to the cd burner and it does it. Well after you have done this have you tried to look at the disk with Win Explorer. Try it. I would be willing to bet that you will see files that have names like "X.WAV". If you do then you need to understand that your stereo in the living room won't read the audio file. In fact what you have created is a back up file through a sub program that is simular to what Adaptec calls "Disk at Once". When you want to burn an audio CD you need to open the correct program and tell it to create an audio CD then tell it what "X.WAV" files you want on the disk. These will typically come from your computer's hard disk. Then to be able to play it on the house stereo you will need to tell it to close the session.

Hope this helps.

Griz

Just an addendum to Grizzly's post.

In Win Explorer, an audio file should be called Track<X>.cda, and have a file size of 1K, where X is the track number. Anything else is a data file

- gaffa

Tell me Bliss, can you play the .wav file while it is on your computer? Like can you double click on the file and it will play through your computer speakers?

To Grizzly -- I understand what you are saying, I havent tried to look at the file under Window Explorer, I havent, I also spoke to the TECH people and they explained the same scenerio and the fact I havent closed the CD (which I still dont understand) but I'm geared to figure it out. I did save Disk-at-once, then there is Track-at-once, overall I know nothing is wrong with the system, it's something I'm missing

Gaffa --- Win Explorer gotcha, I did see the file as a (cda) and didnt know what that meant, didnt see (x) as the track number, so I must have saved a DATA file, cause when I bring it up on that drive uhhhhmm I think it's (F :) I see the saved doc. but no wave file, there is no wave whatso ever

Sonusman --- I cant play anything on my computer, I put in other CD recording that I have, they play fine, come up and play, when I recorded (supposedly) the wave file, in the software I am to be able to play it, I press play, I see numbers move as to say something is on the CD, but no sound, so I've come to think it's not a sound source I recorded but moreso a backup source, and I need to find out what I'm doing wrong

You guys have been a blessing and I am humbly greatful for this outlet of communication and information given on what seems to be simple matters for you, but has me stumped like a midget with no knees (ha ha ah)

I've been printing this out to use it as a source of encouragement that I will get it
once again fellas --- Thanks
LONG LIVE BBS

Now we are getting somewhere. I just caught that little line in one of your post's saying you couldn't listen to the original files either. It got me to thinking.

So, you need to investigate in Control Panel, under Multi Media Devices (or whatever it says for your soundcard settings) to see why you can't hear your .wav files that are on the hard drive. Also, you may need to check the software that you use to record with to see that it is using the proper inputs for recording and that you are using a sampling rate and bit length that is supported by your soundcard.

Once you can actually hear your .wav files that are being recorded on the hard drive, you should have no problems with your CD authoring software.

Ed

sonusman ---

just got your post, so you mean that I need to check my multimedia device or soundcard settings, hmmmm but I know for fact that my recording source is at 44.1Hz and 16 bit, I know that for sure, I use Cubase VST and it says so there, also on the NeroBurn CD software. But my concern also is that when I bring up the (cant think of the name) but it's someplace on NEROBURN that let's you see the WAVES (the shark teeth like lines across the screen) anyway I dont even see that on the screen --- so I'll check the soundcard or Multimedia devices --- thanks Sonusman, this is liking cracking a case, the clues are bringing us closer to the culprit

What you need to be checking for is what input your application is using to record the audio. You are not using the right input apperently. That is why you are not seeing the spikey lines in Cubase. Bacially, the files you have already recorded contain a bunch of silence. Fix that and your CD authoring software will probably work just fine.

Ed

what version of nero are you using ? you can get free upgrades from their web site , and the software has come along way since i bought my burner a few months ago..i personally think its great , and have never had a problem...but , there tech support REALLY SUCKS...

sounds like you just need to learn by some more trial and error...

- eddie -

Your problems sound (no pun intended) similar to mine. I'm using Adaptec, however. "Close Session" is one of the options in Adaptec's Easy CD's wizard. I'm not sure where it is in the software you're using.

I couldn't get the .wav files to play back either. I'm using Winamp, and I realized that my output was writing them to disk, so there was no playback. As soon as I changed the output just to the regular output using Winamp, it worked fine.

My problem is that I don't think my CD-R/CD-RW is showing any burned tracks. I did what some of you suggested -- checking Win Explorer, and there is nothing on the disk in my E drive. Yes, I have a CDR, not a CDRW CD. Also, when I use the wizard in Adaptec's Direct CD, it says there is "No supported CD-R/CD-RW drive. I know it's there -- I'm looking right at it! Can anyone help?

Eddie N ---
What version ?, let you know tomorrow, free upgrades, that's cool I'll check it out, and yes their Tech Support sucks, they were suppose to send me a manual by e-mail (looking left & right) havent seen it yet
plus they couldnt help as much as you guys have. I guess I will have to learn through trial and error, but I'm close to taking the damn thing out and get a CDRW component -- seperate unit you know. (arrrrrgh)

Cradake ---

Yeah man I have that option in my Nero Wizard also,your using Win-Amp, I have Win-Explorer, I've seen it, but not exactly sure how to CHECK how it relates to the CD?
And you say your (output) was writing it to disc, output of computer, or your music software ?
I'm really contemplating taking this shit out if I cant get it, I have (30 days) it's been 4, I'm thinking of just purchasing one of those Fostex CR300 CD recorder --seperate units or the Tascam CD-RW5000 CD recorder, what the hell that seems more easier (to me)
but I'll stick it out a little bit more

I can't really quote on purchasing a separate unit. I have no idea -- however, looks like a lot of the people in this discussion could advise you. To answer your question about output -- I was referring to Winamp.

bliss ,

when you say speedwriter do you mean Magicwriter ? i have the i/o magic 4x4x24 drive , and so far it works great.. dont give up on the internal cd-rw , its a better tool than the external.. here is a link to the nero page where you can see all the updates from version 4.0 up to the newest version 4091 .. http://www.ahead.de/en/driver.asp .. download and install the software update , and then try again.. e mail me directly if you still need help , since we will both be using the same software version..

- eddie -

I love the TASCAM CDRW5000 and you're right- it IS really easy to use but I'd implore you to stick it out with the burner you've got.
A 4x burner is like a Schaeffer. Great when you're having more than one. :)

I'm with you Doc. I have 2 TAS CDRW5000 decks and would not give them up for luv nor $ but the internal CD burner I have gives me the flexability Ineed to get the final mix on a disk. He needs to keep at it and get the bugs worked out. He might have a D.E.U. problem. If that is the case, He'll need to slow down and READ the manual again.

GRIZ

Eddie N -- it says (speedwriter)on the box
4x4x32, and I know it's a better tool than the external, I know, I know (shaking my head) guess I'll get it eventually, and thanks also for the help, I will e-mail you with any other situation, yesterday I took time off from working on it, I was frustrated and I needed sleep, plus the misses was doing something strange I've never seen before, (cooking dinner) I never noticed she did that
ha ha haaha (I spend so much time in my studio)

DRSTAWL --- I will stick it out buddy, I feel I can conquer this demon (standing up in the middle of the floor) "My name is BLISS, and I am an addict" an addict to conquer the CDRW demon ha ha ahha

GRIZZLY --- D.E.U problem (errr, uughhh) what's that?, plus I have no manual (slack ass tech support never sent anything) otherwise I read the HELP menu and far as specifics, it's not there, but it HELPs out

Back