CD Recorders

lkmuller

Can anyone tell me what kind of recorder I would need to put my stuff on a CDDA (Compact Disc Digital Audio) disc rather than a CD-R? Apparently some players (like mine) won't read a CD-R disc (which really ticks me off). And most importantly, would it be worth it to get one?

OK, what you're talking about is basically creating a redbook (standard audio) CD. Two ways -

1. Go out and buy a CD pressing plant, create your glass master, and stamp CD's away till youer heart's content. Kind of expensive...

2. (And I could be wrong about this). Some standard CD recorder units (like the Philips CDR880) will record CD's in proper 'RedBook' format that can be read by normal CD players. These units are around the $500-$600 dollar mark. I don't actually own one of these units, so I could be speaking through my arse ;), but I do seem to remember reading that they burnt CD's properly. There's a thread in the Newbies currently about the CDR burner (its title is about a MiniDisc Recorder)

- gaffa

Hey, thanks a million, Gaffa, you've helped me out a lot! By the way, I passed through Melbourne about 11 or 12 years ago on my way to Brisbane. I played music at the Expo there. Australia is one of the nicest places I've ever been to. Couldn't get used to driving on the left side of the road though.

[This message has been edited by lkmuller (edited 03-14-2000).]

I have a Phillips CDR880 (as mentioned above), and YES, all recordable CD's burned on this unit will play on any source.... car stereo, boom box, home stereo, etc.
Also, you don't have to use "only" Phillips recordable or rewritable CD's. THIS IS NOT TRUE!
I use Maxell Gold recordables. They sound great and cost less.
Using the rewritables allows me to burn multiple mixes and choose which one gets to be mastered. It's cheaper that way.
No complaints here! :)

The left side of the road is the ONLY side to drive on (I mean, who in their right mind would drive on the right-hand side?) :)

- gaffa

Back