Cd-r ; Cd-rw

BobHaymond

Can somebody tell me the difference between CD-R and CD-RW. Are both usful in home(music) recording?

I've just completed my RYO DAW and am delaying any CD burning decisions 'till later [after there's something to record! ]. But, I look ahead. TIA

Hi Bob

Until one of the experts get time to answer you, I'll do my best to tell you what I know.
CD-R Stands for Compact Disk-Recordable
CD-RW Stands For Compact Disk-Re-Writeable"

The CD-R is the one used to record a music CD. You get all your music wave files together and burn as many as you want onto the CD-R up to 80 minutes of recording time. You want to get your sound mixed the way you like it before burning because you can not re-record a CD-R. Once it is finalized that's it.
The CD-RW has 74 minutes of recording time and is usually used for data files. You can have music files on it, but not in the format where you can pop it into a player and here music. But the CD-RW is great for storage of music or any other files. You can also Rewrite on it. Hope this helps.

Gitfiddle

More on CD--more questions

Thanx Git: that was exactly what I needed to know. Some additional questions to you and others:

Suppose one wanted to do the very best at CD-R. Suppose that mass production or speed was no issue. Could it be done with CD-R/CD-RW machines or would it be best to get a dedicated CD-R?

What are the best machines? TIA

As for getting the best results I have to appeal to the experts. I am still very much a beginner to CD recording. I have recorded a few with decent results. But I need to learn more.

Experts, how about it?

Gitfiddle

CD-RW discs can be read by very few audio CD players - they are, for practical purposes, useful only in the realm of computer CD-drives.

CD-Rs can be read by many, many audio CD players but there can still be playback issues on some of the older players and car stereos.

Neither CD-Rs or CD-RWs are the same as commercially produced CDs. Commercially produced CDs have thicker bit depths (or pits) and can be read universally by all players and drives.

For mass-duplication and large-scale distribution, you would want to contract out to have your CDs produced. For small-scale distribution (to say, friends, family, bandmembers, etc...), you can probably get by with CD-Rs...... definitely NOT CD-RWs...

Bruce

Bruce "hit it on the head". :)

peace...

spin

p.s. Just to confuse matters a little more... If you are going to purchase a new car stereo system soon, you can buy one that reads CDRW. There are a "FEW" (maybe 2 models) car radios that do read CDRW. I have an AIWA that reads CDRW, and I think that Sony makes one, also.

Back