CD-R Burners Compatible with VS-880?

danny987

I have a VS-880 recorder. I want to get an external SCSI CD Burner to hook up so that I can mix down songs directly into CD Audio format. I can't afford a proffessional audio burner, I am looking to get a standard PC/MAC type burner. I have 3 questions:

1)Does the burner have to be a certain brand/type? Would a regular old Yamaha work?

2)Does it matter whether the burner is SCSI-1, SCSI-2 or SCSI-3?

3)Do I need special software?

Any help is very much appreciated!

i work at a guitar center and i've been lead to believe by the roland reps that the only cdr that will work with the 880 is the roland one. according to them the vs880's operating system will only recognize their cdr, rendering you hostage to buying theirs....
but i don't know if anyone has actually tried to use another brand.
responses anyone????....anyone????...bueller???....
http://www.mp3.com/zophimx

If all you want to do is record audio,any CD burner that has S/PDIF inputs can be connected to the S/PDIF outputs of the VS and it will faithfully burn a CD of what's coming out of the VS.Where the problem lies is once your hard drive on the VS is full,you can't use this same burner to back up data,which indeed only the official expensive Roland will do.BUT,there is a cheaper alternative which believe it or not is even approved by Roland,it's a removable cartridge hard drive called the ORB.Do a search here if interested.

There ARE other writers that are compatible with the VS-series. Even the guy at the music store told me this. So I searched the net and some forums.

I don't know which VS models support which drives, and you might need software updates. But these drives should be compatible:
Plextor 4220, 8220, 12/4/32 and some older JVC drives. The external scsi versions of these drives ofcourse.

Anyway, search the net for it, there's lots of forums with questions and answers about this. The only problem with this is that these drives are all older models, and you can't find them in any shop anymore...

Roel

PS Don't shoot me if I'm wrong...

CD-R Burners compatible with the VS-880EX

I am in the hunt for one as well. I've been told the Plextor 12/4/32 is the one. The vs must be at 2.005 operating system minimum. I think you'll save about $200.00 buying this one over the Roland. I actually think the Roland CDRII is a Plextor under the covers.

From now on you MAY shoot me if I'm wrong, cause I'm not. I got my VS1880 working with a (second hand) plextor 8220, without the slightest problem. Had to dig up the manual to find the menu though. :)

So now I am a happy man. I can fully record my own CDs now. What a beautifull world. And now for a new girlfriend... :D

I wrote one of my recordings on cd. Sounds really clean. Very low noise. Just have to play with the levels a bit. The final mix was a little to silent...

The Roland drives are, from what I found, indeed plextor drives, that are packed in another box by QPS. Don't know what model is in their latest drive. But 8x is good enough for me. After mixing a CD, you need a break anyway.

response

I bought a yamaha on ebay. It would not work with it. Only Roland equipment will work with the recorder.

Back