CD output question

RoobaDoo

I am using Home Studio 2002 and when I mix down tracks and burn to CD, the tracks are much quieter than other CD's I play. Is there a way to adjust the final output levels? I have tried the 3db audio boost, but that just distorts the tracks. If it's a set level that is not adjustable, it's no biggie. I just want to make the CD sound as professional as possible using the program I have. If anybody has any suggestions please post them. Thank you.

You will need to master the exported wave file to get volume levels closer to commercial CD's. Depending on your goals, you might want to have this done professonally - there are some members of this board who do it, check the mixing/mastering forum.

You can also do it yourself, although not normally recommended for a variety of reasons. But to do so you will need to reimport the wave file into Sonar (or use a standalone program such as Wavelab). Then, depending on needs, you will need to apply compression/limiting, eq, and other possibly other tools to both raise the overall volume level and adjust the mix so it will sound good on any playback system.

Mastering is another art unto itself, past the mixing stage. And btw, this all assumes your mixed file is already at somewhat of a decent level to begin with.

You might want to spend some time in the mixing/mastering forum to learn more.

Back