CD is the way . .

blackie

yeah, i just purchased a dual deck TDK cd-r /rw burner forabout $300. i've been laying down 4 traks andthen dumping it to a re-writeable cd (and it does seem to clean up the traks), then
recording them back to trak 3 and 4 and then
laying vocals on 1 and 2. sounds redundant, but
any time you can skip bouncing traks on the same tape, it helps keep more clarity.
ps. blank cd's are cheaper, too.

cd ext bounce

Yes, I just finished doing this myself. I mixed down acoustic guitar,
drum machine, bass, and some other percussion stuff(all 4 tracks from my 424mkIII) to a blank cdr disk. Then sent this back onto track 1 and 2. Then vocals on track 3 and solo guitar on track 4. Works great. Have to pay close attention to the levels as to the cd seems to add level. Very easy to redline. Oh yeh, you don't have to finialize the first cd. Then I mixed the new 4 tracks down to the cdr and ended up with the original 4 track song and also the new 8 track song on the cd. Good for checking out the difference of the two. This worked so well that my next "project" will be a cd done in this manner using all my instruments and playtoys. And to think I learned all this here.
Thanks Recording people,
dtb

Theoretically, there will be a loss in fidelity every time tracks are read from a tape and recorded on a tape. I'm a new user of a Porta 02, and I'm generally recording on 4 tracks, mixing down to two on another deck, and popping that tape back in the Tascam, recording another 2, then doing a final mixdown. That means that this final mix has tracks that have been recorded 3 times and read twice(Add another generationfor copies made from that final mixed master)......Using a CD for this transfer rather than tape does not reduce this - you're reading from the 4 tracks and writing them back to two, just using the CD as an intermediary. If there's some positive processing going on there(blackie says it seems to clean up the tracks) that is certainly a plus and makes it worth doing.....I haven't been able to figure out track bouncing on the 02 yet(TASCAM doesn't mention it in the manual). That would seem to be preferable to using the second deck as I do. Theoretically(again), with two decks the quality should suffer if there is a difference in tape speed and/or head alignment between the two decks.

yes

LLTA,
I also used to do this before I got the cd recorder. There is a huge difference. It's hard to tell the cd tracks going back to the tape and the "new" tracks mixed together. I highly recommend a cd recorder if the recordist is staying with tape rather than using dig or the computer. Just another step toward a better end result.
Most of the time, for my own stuff, I only need 4 tracks but it's good to have the "extra" tracks the cd provides if needed.
dtb

which program?

out of interest which program do you guys use to take the input from the 4-track & make the 4 tracks into a wave file?

Blackie:
Glad to hear your CDR is working out. Right now, I am mixing down from a Tascam MK414 to a cassette deck. I'm thinking of buying a cdr to mixdown to. Which one would you recommend. Anyone else out there have any recommendations. Thanks to all.
Bluezman

Back