cd...equalize and mix...make a new cd?

marcccc

Hello all who are far more knowledgeable than I.
I have a CD with 4 tracks.
Most of the tracks are too bassy. I used audo catalyst to make an mp3 and wav file. I just played the mp3s in my winamp player and used the little equalizer. I turned 60 and 170 (levels) down about -18 and -10. It's sounds a lot clearer getting rid of the bass on the guitar and the resonace of the drums but not sacrificing too much. I tried using the .wav file in music jukebox and mixed it how I did in winamp, and made a cd out of it. All the tracks sounded the same.
My question is...
Can you have a cd, make an mp3 or wav, equalize the file (.wav...if it's mp3..it converts to wav so the equalizinng would be worthless, right?) ...and then make a cd with some new sounding tracks.
Is there some method I can use, or a program that is good for this?
Someone please help....
Thanks for anything
-Marc

Sure you CAN, but why would you? It would be better to either go back to your master and applying this EQ there. Making a CD from an MP3 file is not good engineering. MP3 files have a data compression algorithm that degrades the sound. Your best bet is to either remix the files (if possible) or to use another stereo editor (Sonic Foundry's Sound Forge, Steinberg's Wavelab, Syntrillium's Cool Edit, SAW, etc) to make these EQ changes using the WAVE file and NOT an MP3.

Rev E

Back