CD cover printing.

gema

I planned to release my EP soon enough and need something like a cd case or sleeve.

But I prefer to use CD sleeve as it is more cheap and easier to carry about.
Something like this to be exact :
Plastic_CD_Sleeve_with_Flap_CPP_Sleeve.jpg

Anyone know the measurements or how to print it ?

Thanks!

Sorry to confuse but I'm trying to print a CD cover art and put in inside the plastic sleeve.

I would prefer to manually design it by photoshop but I can't find the right measurement still.

Oh and one more... What is the standard song volume ?

Thanks!

gema said:
I would prefer to manually design it by photoshop but I can't find the right measurement still.

They have these plastic things in the drugstore for 99cents... called a "ruler".
Just measure a case. Photoshop can take measurements in inches and millimeters....

gema said:
Oh and one more... What is the standard song volume ?

Thanks!

0db is the upper limit. Best practice is to not have ANYTHING louder than -.5db
Beyond that, it depends entirely on the type of music you are playing.

Why don't you rip one of your favorite albums into a .wav editor and take a look at the volume levels yourself....

Nick98338 said:
Just goes to show ya... apparently, you can produce an album of music without knowing squat about any of the various steps involved in producing an album of music.

So we all have to become engineers before we're allowed to make music? Most people record for fun and don't bother learning all the technical details of recording because they'd rather just make music.

And some people (not saying the OP is one of them) aren't very computer/technical-savy so a lot of the technical details just go over their heads.

Thanks for the help guys!

I was just asking to confirm the things I'm going to do. I like to ask little small things that are sometime very stupid. Maybe you guys have done it before me so you are more experience in it. That's what this forum are for.

Thanks again.

A number of CD pressing outlets have templates you can download from their website. Actually, photoshop should have templates as well (or at least one of the CS2 programs). If you're using one from a pressing company make sure it's not a digipack template (dimensions are a bit different).

Also, be a bit careful with the "standard volume". TimOBrien's point about it depending on the type of music is pretty important. Different types of music will sound louder or softer than others and will require different dynamic ranges to sound good. By making something louder you're sacrificing available dynamics. With your style of music that really might not matter. You can definitely ruin a good mix by trying to push it too close to 0db.

And don't worry about asking "stupid" questions. It would be stupid for you to re-invent the entire audio engineering field on your own rather than ask advice, even for questions that have straightforward answers.

I think I can be a bit of help to you on the art work. Every year for the past five years we have been doing a Christmas CD for friends and family. The best thing that has worked for us was ordering these plastic sleves from here
http://www.dominoplastics.com/ez.php?Page=1027
Good choice with the sizes given in the description so you know what size to make your art. I simply design the cover art with Word. Convert to PDF and I use these guys for printing.
http://www.nationalcolorcopy.com/default.asp
Choice of paper will decide the cost. For an extra $15 the even cut the stock to size. Just fold and insert with the CD into your plastic sleve. Good luck with your project.

Yes Nick! Thanks for the measurement.

I have a shop nearby which sells the sleeve at low price.

Thanks everyone again!

Yes we are allowed. Nothing wrong with it.
It's fine, it's fine.

Even if you are a pro, semi-pro, beginner, super beginner or whatever, you sure have one or two doubts about things.

Back