CD burner making shitty copies...

S8-N

..|.. Part-time Antichrist ..|..
I have made many disks with this CDRW but lately I cant burn a disk without getting popping noises throughout the disk. kinda sounds like scratches on an album... and they arent on the original.
Anyone have this problem?

no i havent s8-n , but do burners have heads (i make it sound like a tape deck) or something similar that might wear out , get dirty and need cleaning ??anything like that?? r u trying to go from one disk to the other? if so try going straight from the harddrive..? what sort of burner is it?
well hope u can sort this out soon cos i remeber having trouble with mine , made about 100 coasters... drives u nuts..

The popping artifacts you're describing sound like you're not recording "disc-at-once" - burning a cd in one full shot as opposed to incrementally adding songs to a disc.

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

hey,did you mention something about "record at once"?one shot deal?please if you could explain this to me,asap,for i am to buy cd burner today,and i want to mixdown all my songs from my boss br-8 through the optical spdif,but,it will be song by song,each one seperately mixed at different times,are you saying that this won't work?please i need to know if i need to mix all the stuff onto another format,before i burn it,i don't want to add another generation and worsen the sound,i wanna go straighjt from my br-8 to the burner,no loss,because this multi-track has data compression and is so obvious once i dump it down to analog,moving parts.pleas let me know if iam just panicking.thanx-john(mojovoodoo)

Ok... this could get a bit hairy and I'm not going to get into the software-specifics of burning and duping, but I'll give it a shot...

When burning a Red-Book audio CD, you want to have the disc burned by the unit as a continuous data stream of information... latency or other buss slowdowns could potentially cause breaks in the data stream that get played back as artifacts in some cd players.

The problem with CD-RW disc-burning is that you write a track (one data stream) at one time, and then later add one or more additional tracks. There is a high potential for some errors to be introduced by this "gap" left between the burning of tracks at different times, causing possible errors and artifacts during playback. I'm oversimplifying a bit here for clarity... so don't take this as gospel! :)

In your case, you can still do your mixdowns 1 at a time to a disc to a "storehouse" disc (*NOT* "disc-at-once"). Then use your software to read the disc into it's buffer (digitally so you won't be down a generation), then burn a new CD "disc-at-once" from there.

Hope this helps...

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

What I am trying to do is make a compilation of songs from several disks... I dont think "disc at once" will do this.. It has worked in the past, but now I am on a different computer so that might have something to do with it.

The Adaptec software I am using has a couple of sliders that you can use to optimize the program to the speed of your computer... I slid them all the way left to the slowest setting and tried another burn. Same shit.

Hey S8N, are you just using one type of disk and have you changed lately? I'm thinking that if you haven't had problems before, maybe you got a bad batch of disks with imperfections in them.
Just a shot in the dark.

Same disks... bought a 50 pack and I am down to the last one...
I am gonna try this last one after I remove this shitty DVD drive and put my old CDROM back in.

Back