cd bureners for roland 1680?????

rohlson730

Hey all,
I kow there are a couple burners that will work with the roland unit, namely their expensive own brand and supposedly a few pletxor units. Could someone please list and experience they have and what models of the plextor units are compatible.
Thanks,
Blake:D

I have an 1880 and use the Roland CDR-2.I have never had any trouble with it for burning audio or backing up song data.I did read a thread on www.vsplanet.com that stated that the Plexor would lock up the vs 1680 when verifing the back-up.There was actually two different people that had a similar experience.I don't know for sure what there situation was just thought I'd mention it in hopes it would help.

monty,

I have a plextor 8220 hooked up with my VS1880. And, funny, it did lock up while verifying a backup just last week!! Even twice on the same backup. I have done backups with it before, and it worked just fine.

After removing the rough mix and optimizing the song, it fitted on 1 disk instead of 2, and backup correctly the first time. I did backups on 2 disks before, without having a problem, so it could be just accidently, because of an odd combination of circumstances. The Roland might have the same problem. You never know.

I also read somewhere that the Roland was recognized by the VS AS A PLEXTOR!! Is this true? They probably are plextors inside, Roland isn't gonna manufacture it's own drives, but adapting the engine-software, giving it another ID isn't that hard. Although that would probably make the drive uncompatible with pc's etc...

Well... It works good enough for me, and about 1/3rd of the price, second hand.

Roel,

I know this question is not directly related to this post but....
Do you use the Logic-VS sequencer software?My VS-1880 came with it and I can't get it to work.I'm using a lap top with a Roland usb-midi interface.The midi-sub interface works fine with my Johnson J-Staion using Cake Walk but I'm having a midi comunication error window coming up.Do you have any ideas?

thanks,
Monty,

VS-Logic (il.logical)

Vulcan: I too am having this same problem with VS-Logic. A dialog box appears (on logic) stating it cannot detect the presence of my vs-1880 despite the fact my hook-ups are correct for using Logic as the master. I did however press play on the 1880 using a demo song and noticed the counters moving on the Logic screen. At this point, I was able to use Logic's transport controls to run the 1880, but that damn dialog box on logic kept returning, and would once again lock up the entire Logic screen. If my guess is correct, your interface is fine, and as long as you have the 1880's sysEx Transmit and Receive turned (on) And your 1880 is set for slave with an exchange set for MTC (midi time code) I would say there is a glitch in the Logic software. Mine tells me it cannot locate a VS-1680 although I own a new 1880. Perhaps the differences are too great.

ANYONE ELSE WHO MIGHT SHED SOME LIGHT?

Roel said:
I have a plextor 8220 hooked up with my VS1880.

Well... It works good enough for me, and about 1/3rd of the price, second hand.

Roel,

Is your drive an external unit? I didn't see any externals on eBay. Someone told me that you can purchase a case to convert an internal drive to an external drive. Do you have the writer deck or the rewriter deck? What's best to get in your opinion?

Zeke

MERTZEN,

Good news on your problem with the Logic software not recognizing your 1880.

You must first change your midi model ID to vs 1680.If you have your owners manual it is on page 249,I'll paraphrase the steps for you just in case.

1.go to (system)
2.Press (Glabal)
3.press(Prm2)
4.move cursor to to Midi Model ID
5.Use TIME/VALUE dial to change from 1880 to 1680!

thats it now your Logic will recognize your unit as a 1680
but you can't use tracks 17/18. not cool but close.

My problem is still a midi comunications error can,t seem to get past it.
monty,

:) Vulcan: Thanks-Loads for that problem solving solution. No mention of Midi Model ID. within Logic Manual. And as for Roland, it would have been nice to see this info included on page205 or at very least pg.208. My project stops as of now until I read both manuels front to back.(no matter how boring) Perhaps you can present your problem to www.vsplanet.com. By the way, I suspect Roland is somehow connected to Pathmark. The other day I went shopping for breadcrumbs and had the nerve to look in the bread aisle. But ah-ha, no breadcrumbs. My inquiry was met with cold and stern"Ailse 7, Next to the Candy!" OH! Right I exclaimed, "You mean page249.

Thanks again Spock, Mertzen00

Monty: sorry 'bout the late respons. I don't use the software. I bought a demo model, that came without the demo-songs on it, no video and no soft... But I did get it cheaper. :) I'll try to get a hold of the software again. They must have forgotten it too at the shop. But they like me, so I can give it a try... Will take a few more months though. :)

Zeke, I have an 8220 external. That's the rewriter version. I heard about the cases too, but didn't take the risk. It should work, according to what I've heard. No idea.

I don't care for the rewriting. If you make backup's, you want to keep 'em for a long time, so no use for rewritables there. And for listening to preliminary versions of the mix on different players, it's no use too - a normal cd player cannot read a rewritable. So it really doesn't matter... And with the price of cd's getting pretty low (especially if you and your friends buy 2000 writables at a time, that's how we do it :D )...

Back