CD Architect not getting along with my burner

thwackless

I've done a sequencing for a friend of mine's disc, and it's almost 80 minutes, with lots of crossfades from song to song. When I go to burn it, I get a window telling me my drive (Toshiba DVD) is recieving an illegal command.

Is it because my files are carrying too much information because of the crossfades? The Help file says that Redbook Standard actually does allow for an 80 minute CD... but this is assuming the density of your information doesn't push that limit. Right?

I can't burn to DVD either, by the way. Maybe that's because it's a DVD, and not a CD.

Anyone got a clue? Thanks for reading,

Rog.

first off, I know you can't burn DVDs with CD arch.

as far as the illegal command, I would think it would be exceeding the 72 minute mark, but you may be correct, as I didn't check the documentation...mainly because that is exceeding redbook specs.... on the norm. The crossfades and all that stuff would be potential causes for a buffer underrun and not an illegal command. In 5.0, you can prerender the file, as to help buffer underruns also....or supposedly omit them btw.

Other than that, I am helpless on your problem. Maybe omit enough to get under the 72 min mark as a test, and try a "dummy" burn and see how that goes.

If not, let me check more into burning past that time length.

You can burn a CD with CDA that is longer than 74 minutes, but the program should only give you a warning. But mixmkr is right - you need to use a CD-R. A DVD may look like a CD, but it's a different beast.

EDITED TO ADD: You can set the preference for CD-R length. Go to OPTIONS -> PREFERENCES and hit the EDITING tab. There's a box for setting the max time. Good luck!

Yep, I understand all you guys are saying. I tried burning a DVD just to see if a disc with more capacity would do it, realizing that the format just may not be compatible. I was trying anything!

I also went to the preferences window, and indicated the 80 minute choice.

The Help file does indeed allow you can burn 80 min's within Redbook specs- the only thing I can think of is that maybe it's my DVD-ROM drive/burner. I was burning CD's with it recently.

I'll see what else I can try. Maybe there's a buffer issue, yeah... the answer exists!

Thanks for the offerings! Peace,

Rog.

Back