CD Architect and ATAPI CDRW

C. Anthony

I replaced my aging and not so reliable Mitsubishi Chemical 2X2X6 SCSI CDRW with a faster ATAPI IDE CDRW drive. Now I can't get Architect to find the new drive. I have the latest update of Architect available on the SF site for Architect 4.0. 4.0f (Build 280)I have 5.0 but can't install it yet (until I finish my current projects and then upgrade my OS from Win95 to '98) Besides I don't think Sound Forge 5.0 even will use CD Architect.

Q. Does CD Architect 4.0f (Build 280) recognize an IDE CDRW?
Q. Can I update the program for compatability of newer drives?

Just need to hear from some other Architect users who've solved this problem or not solved it ... and moved on.
Thanks

Is there a reason why you need to use this particular program? There are other choices out there.

I think all advanced architecture's are backward compatable with older, I'm running an atapi cd rom (PIO modes 0-4), a DMA modes 0-2 / PIO compatable modes 0-4 CDRW, a DMA modes 0-3/ PIO Compatable........ etc.

if your question is about CD format compatabillity, yes newer drives will support older formats. I'm not sure what you mean about the software. most is backward compatable.

hope this helps
TX

Torpid, I don't think he's talking about PIO/DMA modes, he's talking about "upgrading" from a SCSI to an IDE drive.

C. Anthony, I took a hop over to sonicfoundry's website for you because I was going there anyhow for something else....I found this document after a quick search of their online support. It lists all the drives currently supported by CD Architect:

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/cdarchitect/drvsupp.asp

Good luck,

Slackmaster 2000

did it!

I did get CDA to see my new IDE CDRW. I just burned a successful CD so I'm a happy camper. I found a page that helped out very much and the link is below for anyone interested.

http://www.rixware.com/cdarchitect

I use CDA to burn CD's because it's a really good multi-featured program and I've allready got it... and I paid a bundle for it so I'll use it. It works fine and has nice features. I've tried Adaptec Easy CD and it's a joke compared to CDA. The almost anywhere track marking and x-fades and merging are just a few features I like. What a waste that SF decided to abandon it and for such crappy reasons. Why they didn't hire a couple of geeks to write some more drivers is beyond me. Spending too much on mailing glitzy brochures I guess.

Back