Cat Steven's Sound?!?!?!

Beat me to it! My exwife used to say, Cat Stevens would be great if only he'd get someone else to record his songs!

You start with an Ovation. That, in and of itself, is an issue. Like Kenny Loggins and many other acoustic-electric pop artists of that period, he gigged with a plastic guitar, including live TV sound stages. I wonder what he recorded with. Too bad, he became a religious fanatic.-Richie

Thanks Richie for the input...

As for you other 2 clowns....real constructive fellows...ACES! :)

I have been thinking about it...and maybe it is his songwriting that I am drawn to...more than his guitar tone...there is just something alluring about him....it might be a mix of the two?!

actually

"What are you lookin' at? You're all a bunch of fuckin' assholes. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be. You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your fuckin' fingers, and say "that's the bad guy." So, what'll that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth... even when I lie. So say goodnight to the bad guy. Come on. The last time you gonna see a bad guy like this again, let me tell you."
This is what my ooookkkkkkayyy was about!

Cowboy,

Cat's distinctive sound on his early recordings came largely from the blend of instruments he and Alun Davies were using, as well as their complimentary styles (Davies played on all his early stuff). Davies played an Epiphone dreadnought (often capoed) and Cat often used a Gibson J-200 and a Hagstrom. He used an Ovation live, like everyone else in the '70s, but not in the studio. Check out the Archive material (live from '71) on the new DVD of Cat's '76 tour and you should get a feel for where the sound is coming from.

Later...

rda

RDA,

Great Post...that is the type of info I am looking for...very helpful...you sound like a fan as well! I will check out that DVD.

Peace...

WC

Back