Cassette to Laptop

Stevebol

Another noob question.I asked a similar question on another board.Will there be a difference in sound quality between using an RCA to 1/8" jack to my laptop and using an audio interface such as a Firebox? It's coming from a cassette and it's already mixed.I don't need separate tracks going to the computer.

Yes, the better the A-D conversion the better the audio quality.

How much of a difference is difficult to say, I'd try your laptop A-D and see what you make of it.

Yeah as the previous response made clear - the conversion of your stereo mix to dig is THE issue. What's converting it? an inbuilt soundcard? something else? Try it for a few seconds both ways & decide.

I bought that little Behri gadget for my laptop - I don't usually use the laptop for recording but occassionally do rough or experimental mixes on it. I have used it to record from cassette and it does that job well enough.The behri is MUCH better than the built in BUT isn't brilliant - what you pay for I guess. At least it's freer of the electrickery used in built in cards to compenate for inadequacies.

According to the description is does 48k sampling. Does it do 44100 too?

Anyway it has got be better than my laptop as this does not have a line in for the soundcard.

According to the description is does 48k sampling. Does it do 44100 too?

Anyway it has got be better than my laptop as this does not have a line in for the soundcard.

What kind of sound card is it, do you know?

A lot of cards use the same jack for both microphone and line in. It's just a matter of switching them in the Windows volume mixer/recording options. If Microphone is selected, it will use the mic/preamp, if Line-In is selected, it won't.

The product description only states 48KHz so my (wild) guess is that it only supports 48KHz, and if you select a different sample rate your software will just up/downsample on the fly and waste CPU.

There is a PDF manual you can look through to see if it says:
http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/UCA202_ENG_Rev_B-11e3383fedd7c42e395e40e7a971b573.pdf

Back