Cases and gig bags

spantini

COO of me, inc.
My last three guitars, none came with a case, so I got a gig bag for each of them. The padded factory Taylor gig bag is good enough to take the acoustic places, but I'm not gigging or playing out anywhere with my electrics, so they got the least expensive bags for in-studio protection. Now I'm eyeing another bass which will get it's gig bag for studio use. When or if I do ever play out with the electrics, I'll think about hard cases - I just feel better when they've got that extra outdoor protection because I've had some accidents happen in the past where hard cases saved the day. They're also great for just cramming into whatever vehicle in whatever way they can be crammed.

Flimsy gig bags are basically there to make it easier to carry, and keep minor scrapes and scratches off the guitar. For real protection, either a hard case or something like the MONO bags are much better.

Hard case - for regular moving of the instrument, never have to worry about putting the instrument in last/on top when packing up the car for a gig. On the other hand, if you need to move a lot of stuff at one time, it can be easy to put a backpack-style soft case on your back, leaving both hands free to carry other gear - just be careful going through doorways!

...it can be easy to put a backpack-style soft case on your back, leaving both hands free to carry other gear - just be careful going through doorways!
That's great too as it gives you a spot to accidentally put your hat when you're in a hurry.

Back