Carvin guitars

Our guitar player has a DC 400.

Plays great, sounds good enough. Some new pickups could make a difference, depends on your style though.

I have 2 Carvin basses (a 6 year old LB70 and a year.5 old B4). The B4 is being turned into a fretless. The LB70 I only play for a certain sound. My main instrument is now a Fender American Standard Deluxe P-Bass (just got it this morning).

My mid-80s DC150 is certainly the best electric that I've ever owned (American Deluxe Fat Strat, early 80s Ibanez Artist, PRS CE24 and tons of cheapos), and quite possibly the best that I've ever played. I say 'possibly' because a friend's Parker Fly Classic is equally nice on the hands. I paid $300 for the Carvin (used), though, compared to the nearly $2000 that my friend payed for his Parker. I've been debating a new set of pickups just for some new sounds, but the active pickup set that it's got now really gives a broad pallette from which to choose. I think that this urge to swap pickups derives more from an innate desire to tinker with guitars rather than any real deficiencies in the tones that I'm getting with the Carvin.

The other guitarist (other than myself) in my band plays a Carvin AE185. I know that's not even the same type of guitar you are looking for, and the only thing I have to compare it to is my Les Paul (which is not a hollowbody like the AE185). But in general, the 185 sounded very hi-fi. Not muddy at all. It seemed like a good value considering how clear and present the electronics made it sound.

Back