CARDOID OR HYPERCARDOID????

FUNKY

i have AKG 1000s mic. Do i have to use it cardoid or hypercardoid way? What's the difference? Can someone tell me tips for 1000s vocal recording?!

Cardoid and hypercardoid are two different pickup patterns.
Cardoid picks up most of its sound from the front and sides, while hypercardoid picks up less from the sides and more from the back; I think, or mabey its vice versa. I can't remember, i had a late night and need sleep.

In response to your other question you should just experiment with different angles and positions (the mic that is).

omnipotent

Unfortunately, with the C-1000S mic you have to put in a little plastic piece to make it a hypercardoid mic.

I used it once like that and noticed that the mic sounded extremely harsh around 4-5KHz. I have never used it since.

I agree with omnipotent here. You just gotta move it around and experiment to get the sound you want.

Ed

Ed,

There are actually two plastic attachments for the C1000. One converts it from cardoid to hypercardoid and the other boosts the midrange response (around 5 KHz if I remember correctly). Were you maybe using the presence booster instead of the pattern adapter? You can't use both simultaneously.

I just got mine a few weeks ago and haven't messed with either attachment, but now I'm curious to see how they affect the mic for vocals. So far I've just used it to double mic acoustic guitar with my 4033.

Back