card read error with br-900

fere17

I've had this br-900 recorder for 5 years or so and love it. i've done a lot of recording etc and no problems. recently, when i turn it on, after the usual startup message "keep power on! card testing..." there is a message displayed that reads "Unformatted!".

Trying to format the card via the initialize menu, i recieve a message that says "Card Read Error!". I've tried 3 different compact flash cards and even bought a new compact flash card after this problem occured and nothing new happens with the new card.

I happen to also have the smaller br-864(also had for about 5 years) and the same exact problem exists with that unit. Two of the cards are the original 128mb ones that shipped with each unit and the other two cards are standard 1gig cards.

i've been using it as an interface to my computer and noticed that everything aside from the card read/write capabilities function properly. If anybody can help me with this problem it'd totally make my day! thanks

Nobody?!

I'm having the same problem. The boss will not format the card! and the old cards say unformatted also. im using 1 GB and 128 mb cards.

Can a card go bad and fry a card reader?? Does anyone sell replacement card readers for boss?

EDIT: Boss will not format/initialize card.

Last edited:
BOSS 900 not formatting flash card

I am having the same problem. Did either of you get this resolved?
Thanks! Jill

Definitely sounds like the card reader/writer burned out. Boss charges $75 to look at any unit for repair evaluation. Get a Return Authorization number if you decide to go that route.

Back