Carbon Fibre Guitar

Neil Ogilvie

Still Learning.......
Is there anyone here who owns or has played a Carbon Fibre guitar?

My brother is in the process of building one at the moment - I come from a very composite-minded family :P .

I was just wondering what peoples experiences are of playing them and what benefit the carbon gives over wood.

Cheers, Neil

They sound horrible acoustically. However, they sound about the same as any other guitar with a pickup, and so they are great for touring musicians as they are impervious to climate changes, which is not the case with wood guitars. I know a couple of well know guitar players who have been using Rainsong guitars for touring for just this reason.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I had a guitar with some type of composite neck.It was alright, a little sterile sounding.As Light said, it didn't require as much truss rod tweaking because of changes in weather, which is nice.

I've got a 1986 Kramer Farrington which is made of some sort of composit materal, it plays great (feels more like an electric than acoustic) but it has a shallow sound, partly due to the thin body, and sounds kinda plunky, almost like a banjo.
can't say this is the case with all composites but it sure is of the one I have.

Back