Car Audio Specs?

dogooder

I read these specs etc for car audio. You see 2000 watt amps blah, blah. Is there a speaker made that can handle 2000 watts? Would 2000 watts of audio blow the car windows out? Whats up with these specs? I have asked about this many times and never get an answer? If we are speaking of RMS wattage, what are they really? I hear tube watts and transistor watts, isn't one watt RMS the same for both? I know there are many ways companies represent the watts on their equipment. There is a discussion going on in Guitars and Basses as to whether or not a thirty watt amp is good for most gigs, the answer seems to be yes. Thirty watts is pretty damn loud. I used one on stage for over 20 years and I don't think I ever turned up past halfway, usually on three or four and no, it doesn't go to eleven.

I'm guessing that a spec of 2000 watts would be peak power, and spread over the number of speakers. So, if the car had 8 speakers, you'd be looking at "maybe" 500 watts total and 60 watts per speaker.
Ready to be corrected...

I did once take all my measurement gear to my car to test the audio the way I test my studio monitors for linearity etc. It was ugly. Crazy inflated bass from the stock Toyota stereo even with eq flat.

My understanding is it's better to have too much amp than not enough amp. Car audio in general is a bunch of hype - cars are a terrible environment for audio - it's an even bigger compromise than home audio.

These window-rattler systems are just stupid in the same category as extreme negative camber cars and are likely to exist in the same vehicle with the same idiot mouthbreather owner. At least negative camber tires won't blow out your hearing.

My understanding is it's better to have too much amp than not enough amp. Car audio in general is a bunch of hype - cars are a terrible environment for audio - it's an even bigger compromise than home audio.

These window-rattler systems are just stupid in the same category as extreme negative camber cars and are likely to exist in the same vehicle with the same idiot mouthbreather owner. At least negative camber tires won't blow out your hearing.
Yeah, but "too much amp" means a higher percentage of THD and noise, making everything sound like shit. (...only louder shit)

I'm sure Dave @ecc83 will be around soon to give us the technical details.

I believe it is a false marketing strategy that true RMS and watt values are not even an accurate measurements. It is a ruse.

You get what you pay for it seems with car audio. Meaning don't buy from Wallmart or Autozone.

Or the flea market. I remember once when I was like 16 (40 years ago) I bought a car deck that I thought was a great deal. It had an almost exact logo of something I thought was reputable.

It was an "ALPhINE". LOL!

There is a discussion going on in Guitars and Basses as to whether or not a thirty watt amp is good for most gigs, the answer seems to be yes.
Oooo, I need to get my lazy ass over to that thread. I have good and personal experience I can share if n00bs are participating. Always like to share with beginnings looking for firsthand info (given in my subjective opinion of course). I don’t do it enough lately because Im entertained here in the current Cave environ.

brassplyer said:

Yeah, but "too much amp" means a higher percentage of THD and noise, making everything sound like shit. (...only louder shit)
What I mean by too much/not enough amp is the capability of the amp - you don't want to overdrive the speakers of course but as I understand it if you're pushing an amp close to its max just to get acceptable volume it will damage the speakers.

I found this which talks about it - he brings up clipping and harmonics.

I read these specs etc for car audio. You see 2000 watt amps blah, blah. Is there a speaker made that can handle 2000 watts? Would 2000 watts of audio blow the car windows out? Whats up with these specs? I have asked about this many times and never get an answer? If we are speaking of RMS wattage, what are they really? I hear tube watts and transistor watts, isn't one watt RMS the same for both? I know there are many ways companies represent the watts on their equipment. There is a discussion going on in Guitars and Basses as to whether or not a thirty watt amp is good for most gigs, the answer seems to be yes. Thirty watts is pretty damn loud. I used one on stage for over 20 years and I don't think I ever turned up past halfway, usually on three or four and no, it doesn't go to eleven.
Car Speakers are designed for 30 - 60 watts maximum - the 2000 watts is distributed Peak Power - not an indication of what you are really outputting - more than likely your Car system is around 15 -25 watts - of which about 15 -20 watts are useable .

Back