Capsules

Yeah, I definitely picked up on that when I was comparing the Peluso to this one. This being my first attempt at it, the cost difference would certainly take some of the sting away if I break something.

I will certainly try to get with Dave on that. Thanks for that info.

My big concern now is polarization voltage. No K47 capsule will do me any good if I glue it to the backplate by trying to just drop it into the NT-1 and firing it up. Forgive my ignorance please, I'm new to the mic game and learning as I go.

You might want to check out the threads on the Gyraf g7 (Gyraf Audio) He does mention an issue with different capsules in that microphone and "sucking in the backplate."

Note also, that the text that comes with the MXL 2001 Royermod indicates a 60v for the U47.

You might want to check out the threads on the Gyraf g7 (Gyraf Audio) He does mention an issue with different capsules in that microphone and "sucking in the backplate."

Note also, that the text that comes with the MXL 2001 Royermod indicates a 60v for the U47.

That's a strange photo on that link .... why would you have a monitor centered like that? My only guess is to hear it in mono.

...a more historically accurate K47 capsule should be 6-micron, not 3-micron, as the one offered by microphoneparts.com...you can contact Dave Thomas at Advanced Audio, as he sells a nice quality 6-micron K47 capsule (it's not on his site, but he does offer it) with brass metalwork for around that same price...he'll be offering that capsule in his new multi-pattern CM-48fet mic, due out shortly...

I'm hoping to sample a couple of those soon. Dave said he only had 4 in stock. There's a great deal of difference in the ones Dave has vs. the other K47 style we've seen. Dave actually sacrificed a couple of real Neumann K47's to be duplicated, and from what I've seen of the return metal work, they are closer than anyone as far as a real K47 back plate, finish work and all. They are also going 6 micron, true to the original.

My big concern now is polarization voltage. No K47 capsule will do me any good if I glue it to the backplate by trying to just drop it into the NT-1 and firing it up. Forgive my ignorance please, I'm new to the mic game and learning as I go.

This is fairly easy to deal with. I know that a real K47 is OK with about 60v for polarization voltage, so you shouldn't have issues with the diaphragm being sucked into the back plate if that's what you're getting. (of course, depending on where you're measuring.) If you're getting too much polarization, then you need to adjust the voltage divider to lower it to an acceptable level. In a U47, the 2M ohm and 3M ohm resistors feeding the 100M ohm resistor set up polarization. Not sure what it is in the NT-1, but it would be right after the entry for the B+ voltage to ground, two resistors in series. What ever you measure at that junction would be the polarization voltage.

This is fairly easy to deal with. I know that a real K47 is OK with about 60v for polarization voltage, so you shouldn't have issues with the diaphragm being sucked into the back plate if that's what you're getting. (of course, depending on where you're measuring.) If you're getting too much polarization, then you need to adjust the voltage divider to lower it to an acceptable level. In a U47, the 2M ohm and 3M ohm resistors feeding the 100M ohm resistor set up polarization. Not sure what it is in the NT-1, but it would be right after the entry for the B+ voltage to ground, two resistors in series. What ever you measure at that junction would be the polarization voltage.

Thats exactly the info I was looking for. I did go ahead and pick up the cheap capsule and installed it. No issues with the voltage. It actually sounds pretty good. Definitely a different color than my C1. Ultimately that is what I was looking for. Thanks so much for getting me on the right track. Perhaps on my next capsule swap, I will spring for a nicer capsule as well.

I'm hoping to sample a couple of those soon. Dave said he only had 4 in stock. There's a great deal of difference in the ones Dave has vs. the other K47 style we've seen. Dave actually sacrificed a couple of real Neumann K47's to be duplicated, and from what I've seen of the return metal work, they are closer than anyone as far as a real K47 back plate, finish work and all. They are also going 6 micron, true to the original.

...I'm trying to get a sample of one of those too...I also heard that the same Chinese manufacturer will be offering an oversized 38mm LDC capsule shortly...my source said they are still fine tuning the response...that badboy's gotta have some serious bottom-end on it...should be interesting...I suspect it will be a Chinese version of (or similar to) the Lauten Oceanus edge-terminated capsule below (kind of a jumbo C12 capsule)...

Attachments

• oceanus-capsule.jpg
    oceanus-capsule.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 15
Back