Can't Seem To DEcide

imagineaudio

I'm looking for something specific......i have had a hard time finding a "great" product with all these features:

8 analog ins (or 4-6 with the ability to expand through ADAT)
at least 2 pre's
firewire or pci
Adat in for adding converters and/or more analog ins
BNC for word clock
8 analog outs
Inserts for adding bus compression

I have a P4 2.4 GHZ 512mb ram Serial ATA 80 GB 7200rpm hard drive and western digital 120gb ata drive.....use cubase 1.3 & Nuendo 2

I was looking at:

RME Fireface.......(at the top of my budget) or the Multiface
The MOTU 896HD (the one with 8 pre's) but I heard it's crap
The firepod (no adat, only 2 outs)
EMU 1820 (just started looking at this today, but im not real impressed, looks good on paper though)
The LynxTwo C with the Aurora 8 channel converter/breakout box

The last option seems like the best but is WAY out of my budget.

If anybody sells gear for a living, i would GREATLY appreciate your opinions/experiences

Also, on a side note, i did post about the FW1884 which i decided against......im going instead with a used mackie control if i can find a good deal on ebay........

I wish i had a decent store around here where i could talk to people that actually knew their shit.....im tired of walking into sam ash or guitar centers and have people look at me like im at best buy looking for power tools and paint..........and you cant even show the stuff to yourself because its NEVER plugged in and if it is, its NOT working...............................

I maybe be able to offer some advice.I'll tell you what I've had in My Studio from past to present.Here goes,First I bought the MIA for an easy to use 2 channel sound card that was Great,I still use it from time to time.Then I made the EMU 1820M Mistake,their drivers just suck and kept crashing my machine and alot of other peoples from what I have heard + read.It comes w/this really confusing thing called Patch Mix and I just hated it.I had a Motu 896(Not The HD) and sold it like and IDIOT!I thought that sounded great and was wicked easy to use,BUT now I own The Firepod and It's great also,includes a digital input/output which is important for me to have..Also VERY easy to use.I don't want to waste time trying to figure out just how to use something I want to open the box,set it up and RECORD NOW!!!Firepod/Presonus has done me right and for the $$$ you can't go wrong!Hope this helped you out some,I don't run a music store or anything like that BUT the way I buy and sell it makes me wonder....Good Luck!

ez_willis said:
Have you considered a digital mixer? I have a Tascam tm-d1000>TDIF-1 if-tad(TDIF to Lightpipe) converter>ADAT/Edit pci card. My computer specs are almost the same as yours, P4 2.4, 512mb, WD SATA 37g 10k rpm Raptor. Wordclock is sync'ed from the mixer to the computer thru the lightpipe cable.

TM-d1000-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23785&item=3775250646&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

TDIF-1-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41480&item=3774857803&rd=1

Hmm....Never considered that option, what advantages would it have over the Fireface 800, for example?

well then let me reverse my question.....what will the d1000 do for me at that price point, and what kind of options would i have to upgrade converters, add more ins, etc.....

Did you look at the Tascam 1804?
Tascam FW-1804 Features:
• 18-in/12-out audio interface
• Records at up to 96kHz/24-bit
• Four balanced XLR / 1/4" TRS mic/line inputs with phantom power
• Four balanced 1/4" TRS line inputs
• 1/4" TRS insert jacks for channels 1-4
• S/PDIF and ADAT digital input and output
• Word clock in and out
• Balanced 1/4" TRS monitor outputs
• Headphone output with level control
• Two MIDI inputs and four MIDI outputs
• Assignable Footswitch jack
• Includes GigaStudio 3 LE
• Includes Steinberg Cubase LE 48-track 96kHz workstation software
600.00 at most online shops. I like the Fireface too but don't like the price.
Pick up an M-Audio Octane to add 8 more channels w/mic pres and phantom power via ADAT for an extra 600.00. that a lot of simultaneous tracks for 1200 bucks!

Back