Can't record audio in SX3

1. You need to configure the vst connections.
2. you need to route the input that you are plugged into to the track you want it to record on to.
3. arm the track.
4. hit record and start playing the instrument.

RTFM

If you were reading the manual, you would know what the part of the mixer on the left was called and why the 'audio 01' track didn't have any activity on the meter.

I was not trying to imply that anyone was an idiot. However, if a person does not know how to set their inputs up, or that they even have to, does not know the difference between inouts and busses, does not know what monitor enabling is or how to do it etc... than I have to wonder if they really have read the manual or tried themselves since many of these things are extremely basic.

On a side note, now that I'm sitting in my studio, VST connections are indeed saved with a template. Open an empty project, set sample rate, etc. add a few mono tracks, a few group tracks, a few midi tracks. Hit F4 for VST connections and set up your config... 4 in 2 out, 4 in 4 out, 8 in 2 out, whatever. Do a File/Save as Template and exit. Now do a File/New Project and choose the template you just created... everything is there, including the VST connections.

As for the problem at hand, I just pulled out my SX3 box along with the "Getting Started" manual. Pages 36-46 pretty clearly go over setting up audio AND monitoring.

In the on-line help in SX3, the VERY FIRST ITEM is "VST Connections: Setting up input and output busses". It can't get any simpler that how it's described. You can even modify your default template (from the docs):

The bus configuration is saved with the projects – therefore it’s a good
idea to add and set up the busses you need and save these in a template
project (see page 737).
When you start working on new projects, you start from this template. That way you
get your standard bus configuration without having to make new bus settings for each
new project. If you need to work with different bus configurations in different projects,
you could either create several different templates or store your configurations as presets
(see page 20)

I thought that vst connections settings were not saved with the template. In the example listed above, this may work BECAUSE the vst connection settings are Global. This means that when you change the settings, the new changes applies to all templates.

I thought that vst connections settings were not saved with the template

My bad. I am half right. The input and output configs are saved with the template, the external instrument, studio, and external effects are global

Correct. I have multiple templates (different sample rates, live bands, midi projects, etc.) with different vst connection configurations, which is pretty much it for my templates. Dude, you had me second-guessing myself... had to make a second trip down to the studio for a "could this be?" sanity check...

Regardless... if lasagne gets his connections straightened out and saves 'em as a template he should be OK.

Last edited:
Back