Can't read flash card

sparadiddle

Just got a MR8 and did my first recording. Bounced to 7/8 and converted to stereo wav. Now I want to get the wav file to my PC. Didn't have a USB cable at home for my Win2K laptop, so I decided to try and read the card through a card reader I have on my win98 desktop. I keep getting "device not ready" though I can read the card from my digital camera fine.

Are there any issues simply reading the card with a card reader on win98? I thought in some cases you couldn't transer directly via USB, but maybe I misread that...

card reader

you have to go to the fostex web site and download the program wav manager, after you install it, the icon will look just like the mr8, open the program and choose the tracks to move over. you will also need it to send files back to the mr8, also there are two types of usb cables, i think you have to have type 2, card reader should have come with one.....

are going to mix at the computer, you should not bounce the track down , import them one at a time, then mix otherwise nevermind this edit

card

be carful not to reformat the card if you put it in another device(camera)

you are correct, win 98 and 98se can not read through usb, must use card reader

Last edited:
dave in toledo said:
you have to go to the fostex web site and download the program wav manager, after you install it, the icon will look just like the mr8, open the program and choose the tracks to move over. you will also need it to send files back to the mr8, also there are two types of usb cables, i think you have to have type 2, card reader should have come with one.....

are going to mix at the computer, you should not bounce the track down , import them one at a time, then mix otherwise nevermind this edit

Thanks Dave.

I assumed that I could grab the files directly from a card reader. Never the less, I downloaded the wav manager and it doesn't recognize my card reader either (disk F:).

I just did one simple keyboard track and then bounced track 1 over to 7/8 with the 'mastering' effect and then converted to stereo wav file. I do have audio software on my laptop, but in this case I was simply tyring to get the stereo wav off the MR8 so I could convert it to an mp3.

....sorta related question here...I need to find a way to get a song that I created on the MR-8/N-tracks setup to my bandmates (MP3)...are there any free sites that can "host" one MP3 at a time???

Must have been win98...it worked fine on win2k.

Unless I missed something, I can only get tracks 1-8 via wav manager. I had to use windows explorer to get the stereo wav.

tracks

you say you can only get tracks 1-8 (are there more)

maybe wav manager cant do a stereo file, the manual said it can export one but not import one (i think), but ive never tried, all my tracks are imported one at a time and mixed on the computer (thats what the mr8 is really best at, but this should still work for you)

good work around though...

dave in toledo said:
you say you can only get tracks 1-8 (are there more)

maybe wav manager cant do a stereo file, the manual said it can export one but not import one (i think), but ive never tried, all my tracks are imported one at a time and mixed on the computer (thats what the mr8 is really best at, but this should still work for you)

good work around though...

wav manager only imports tracks 1-8, but not any stereo wavs you may create on the MR8.

I simply recorded something on track 1, bounced to 7/8 (two mono tracks) and then I created a stereo wav file w/ reverb and mastering. wav manager doesn't see the stereo wav file (it's in a sub directory).

Actually, wav manager isn't necessary at all for moving tracks from MR8 to a computer (don't know about computer to mr8, but I'm guessing that it's not), but it is handy. Once you have MR8 (or a card reader) mounted as an external drive, you can drag and drop the files as on any other drive using windows explorer.

Yeah, normally I would just record on MR8 and load the files into Sonar or ProTools, but this was just a simple demo and wasn't that big of deal.

My original problem was that I couldn't read the card at all with a card reader on win98, but it all works fine on win2k.

Thanks.

wav manager

if you dont think its nessacery record a track, punch a part in, just do the abc's and punch in some words and try to import your track , you will find the punch in does not line up without wav manager, it will be two seperate parts instead of one track, or record a part, stop, fast forward to another part, and record, then try to transfer to the computer, you will get fragmented file, as for going back to the mr 8 try it, i did , you will find that the files cant be transfered without wave manager,

any card reader will show up on the pc as another drive, but keeping the data in the proper order is why you have to use wav manager, unless you never need to punch in or skip around on the mr8 song....

Back