Can't hear Edirol VSC when recording

canada-paul

Last night I spent a good hour fighting with Edirol. I could hammer away at my synth and hear the sounds, but as soon as I hit 'R' to record it would stop responding to my playing. The song would continue to roll along, and the other VSC would play fine. And, if I pounded away at the synth, then stopped recording, there was MIDI data recorded, its just that I couldn't hear myself playing it during the recording process.

Anyways, the problem is now solved, so I thought I'd post this in case someone else has the same problem. Basically, you can't hear yourself play the DXi synth during recording if you have 'Overwrite/Replace' checked under recording options. Set it back to 'Sound on Sound/Blend' and it works just fine.

canada-paul said:
Basically, you can't hear yourself play the DXi synth during recording if you have 'Overwrite/Replace' checked under recording options.
:confused: What? I can.

Re: Re: Can't hear Edirol VSC when recording

moskus said:
:confused: What? I can.
May have had something to do with having 'Record takes as separate tracks' AND 'Overwrite/Replace' checked then. All I know is that as soon as I checked 'Overwrite/Replace', the problem started, and when I unchecked it, it started working again. Maybe I have another setting somewhere that is causing it to act up in this situation when it shouldn't.

Re: Re: Re: Can't hear Edirol VSC when recording

canada-paul said:
May have had something to do with having 'Record takes as separate tracks' AND 'Overwrite/Replace' checked then.
Well, both are checked at my system. Hmmm.. Strange!

You're using Sonar, right? What version?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Can't hear Edirol VSC when recording

moskus said:
Well, both are checked at my system. Hmmm.. Strange!

You're using Sonar, right? What version?
Sonar XL 2.0
Soundblaster Live! (why the exclamation point ? :) )
SiS 645 motherboard
Intel P4 1.5 GHz
256 meg RAM
2 40 gig 7200 ATA 133 hard disks

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can't hear Edirol VSC when recording

canada-paul said:
Sonar XL 2.0
Maybe it's a bug that's been fixed. You should update to Sonar 2.2. Just go to www.cakewalk.com and download the patches. :)

Maybe Creative thought it would be so much cooler with "SB Live!" instead of "SB Live".... :rolleyes:

I had that too...not with this softsynth, but others, and I don't remember what version...may have been awhile ago, the time all seems to bleed together, but you're not crazy, at least. I don't remember when or what I did to fix it, but I used to not be able to hear in overwrite record mode, but now I can, and I probably checked/unchecked exactly what you did. I know something in that window fixed it for me. Maybe it was the upgrade and i didn't realize it.

I was having this precise problem the other day using the DR008, trying to play it from my Evolution MK249C2 keyboard. I could hear it when I hit "play" , or not playing at all, but the moment I hit the "record" button, I couldn't hear what I was playing, but after the fact , the MIDI data had recorded. I will try checking/unchecking those boxes and see if it fixes it for me. I have never had this problem before though. Weird.

and I am running 2.2 XL.

cstockdale said:
I was having this precise problem the other day using the DR008, trying to play it from my Evolution MK249C2 keyboard. I could hear it when I hit "play" , or not playing at all, but the moment I hit the "record" button, I couldn't hear what I was playing, but after the fact , the MIDI data had recorded. I will try checking/unchecking those boxes and see if it fixes it for me. I have never had this problem before though. Weird.

and I am running 2.2 XL.
Nice to see I'm not crazy. This is exactly the reason why I made the first post: just to give a heads up for others that might be having the same problem. It's not really a 'fix', more of a 'workaround', but it does the trick and gets you back on a productive bandwagon.

Back