Can't hear anything on Cubase!!

Mttq

Hi, I'm a miserable newbie beginning cubase. (I used to toy around with Ignite Air on my laptop)

So, to state what's happening...

- I got a newish desktop to setup Cubase (a dude gave me a list for cpu and stuff so this is not the issue I believe)

- I also got a second-hand 'Phase x 64' sound interface

*but I'm using regular speakers directly plugged in pc for the meantime

- I got Cubase on my desktop

Now the problem....

Day 1
1. I was trying out the drums, but the sound was crackling on 'speaker 1'
2. So I unplugged 'speaker 1' and plugged 'speaker 2' , but same thing.
3. Then I tried plugging in a headphone to my audio interface... No sound
>> but worked when I played an audio clip on Windows Media

Day 2
1. No sound at all from 'speaker 1' on Cubase >> works fine outside Cubase
2. No sound at all from headphone via sound interface on Cubase + no sound outside Cubase

And now I'm miserable as hell... I can't have aliens coming in my room so I have to sort it out myself.

Any suggestions???

Firstly, to make best use of your interface and its capabilites, it should be replacing your internal sound.

So you should direct all output to the interface, and plug headphones and speakers into it.

I don't know what 'speaker 1' and speaker 2' means. Nor do I know whether the speakers you have will connect to the interface easily.

If you are getting sound using Windows Media, but not via Cubase, it suggests that the computer is still directing its own audio to the internal card, but Cubase is sending it to the interface.

First off, that Phase 4 interface has been discontinued and there is no longer any support for it. I would therefore suggest you Google for "ASIO4ALL" driver wrapper and run that.

Cubase needs to have the AI setup in "VST setup" * and then you need to setup output "busses" in VST Connections. If you still have problems download Audacity (from "ninite.com") and try the interface with that.

None of this is really satisfactory however and I would start saving for a modern, supported AI now!

*been a while since I used Cubase, not on any handy PCa atmo so I could have that wrong. Plenty of Cubase gurus at HR tho'but.

Dave.

Back