cant get a good acoustic level

rudalicious

hello everyone,

I seem to be having some trouble getting a decent acoustic level. The sound quality is fine but i cant get my levels up. I have the gain on my board up really high as it is and im already getting a lot of hiss. Im using an sm57 but i also tried another mic and pretty much the same problem some im thinking maybe its the pre in the mixer. It was a pretty cheap mixer. Our DMP3 is supposed to be in very soon so maybe that wil help? I tried a position poitning towards the 12th fret and tried it at the soundhole and both gave me a pretty low level. Can anyone help?

thanks
rudy

A dynamic mic isn't helping your gain problem. And a low end mic pre just puts the last nail in the coffin for that problem. If you have a better preamp on the way I'd start looking for a condensor mic for acoustic recording. Search this site for the usual suspects.

well i just got the new pre today and man it cranks compared to the yamaha. It also has wayyy less noise when i give it extra juice so that should take care of a lot of the problem. That yamaha was really really noisy. we are also going to get a new mic very soon so ill cehck into some good condensors. Thanks a bunch

Back