Can't figure out the tone of this bass

scottyharp78

Hello all! First post here. I've been teaching myself home recording and mixing over the past year. I also have been writing music for a new project I'm working on. Heavily influenced by one of my favorite bands, NOMEANSNO. I LOVE how NMN uses the bass as a lead instrument and the guitar more to just fill in some color.

The problem I'm having is trying to replicate the sound of Rob's bass itb. I know Mixing between the high end of the bass and the guitar is going to be important here, and I understand how dialing in a bass tone by itself doesn't guarantee it will work in the mix, but I'm just curious to get some ideas from you all about the sound you're hearing in the linked track. A place to start with regards to tone, EQ, compression, etc.

I know Rob used to use a Marshall 3530 (playing live, dunno what he recorded with) and a p-bass. I'm playing on a Sterling (Music man) Sting Ray and straight into the daw. I have plenty of amp sims, my fave right now is Neural DSP Parallax.

Thanks in advance for the info!

NOMEANSNO reference:

I like the sound - bass and the rest.

I haven't a clue. Without the 3530, I would start with maybe duplicating your original bass track, running one through a British guitar amp sim for the trebly part, adding some distortion. Then run the second one through a bass amp of choice for the low end. Then blend them. I'm sure it won't be the same as NMN, but it's someplace to start.

Last edited:
Hey @scottyharp78, I dug this up. Covers a magazine interview. The poster quotes his responses which cover his rig, as well as guitar, pickups and string preferences. It's a 20 year old Bass Player Mag article, but it might get you a lot closer than my suggestions. Good luck! :guitar:

And here's another source for general info, though Rob's not listed : https://knowyourbassplayer.com/
Awesome! Thanks! I'll definitely check this out.

Back