Cannot decide between 2nd hand Korg d3200 and firestudio project

Which would you choose if you could only have one of the following?

• Total voters

rog999

I have a 16 channel mixer yamaha MG166cx some decent mics
a midi interface for my drum machine and synth
good guitars, bass , a laptop with Reaper
and currently using a Tascam DP02 for recording.

I want to increase the number of simultaneous from the current 2 or 4 if I use Reaper synced by the DP02 using MTC. I also want to concentrate mainly on the music rather than becoming embroiled in more and more complex add ons effects etc.

I cannot decide whether to keep it simple and get a 2nd hand Korg on ebay for about £540 (pounds sterling) or go for a firestudio project external fast 7200 hard drive to plug into the firestudio and a good firewire express card as recommended by presonus .

My laptop spec is as follows
Samsung P510
Intel core 2 duo T6400 @ 2.00Ghz, 2Gb RAM XP service pack
can upgrade memory to 4Gb is necessary

All opinions welcome.

No responses yet.

However I just found the Korg D3200 on ebay at a bargain price and nI( couldnt resist and I am really looking forward to using the 12 simultaneous inputs and the 32 tracks. However I would still be interested in everyones views although I know the 'computer interface' Vs SIAB subject is brought up a lot.

I will still be using midi, some virtual instruments and effects ans Reaper as well as the D3200.

R

I guess no-one is interested in this post but qwill add one last thing.

- The Tascam DP02 has a great resale value, I sold it within one day on ebay at a great price.

This enabled me to upgrade to the Korg D3200.

Just cant wait for it to arrive and record the whole band at once on seperate tracks

I also want to concentrate mainly on the music rather than becoming embroiled in more and more complex add ons effects etc.

.... would seem to indicate that the D3200 is the best choice. Be prepared to have more difficulty learning the 3200 than the Tascam, as IMO the manual is not nearly a friendly as Tascam ones I have seen. I have a 3200 and the only time I am dissatisfied with it is when I need to look at track waveforms to set marks for editing/cutting/pasting, etc -- only single tracks and stereo pairs can be displayed simultaneously on the small 3200 display. I am sure that any PC based solution would be better in that regard.

This enabled me to upgrade to the Korg D3200.

Just cant wait for it to arrive and record the whole band at once on seperate tracks

One word of advice -- before deciding to use 48kHz sampling instead of 44, be aware that that may result in problems with the song streaming off certain internet sites -- soundclick.com in my experience.

Back