Canare star quad or Canare l-2t2s

Mastabeta 57

Hey people, I'm buying bulk canare cable: Canare Star Quad 4-Conductor Microphone Cable or Canare L-2T2S 2-Conductor Microphone Cable.

I was wondering which one is recommended. I heard there was possible phasing or loss of high frequency problems when making the star quad too long? IS THIS A SIGNIFICANT LOSS?

Any-way, which kind should i purchase...

I asked a similar question before about to quad or not to quad. I went with not to quad. Quad is said to be better in rejecting RF interference, such as produced by lighting systems at a concert. In my home studio I don't have such issues so I went with 2 conductor. It was also said that you would have to have very very long quad lengths to notice a reduction in quality. Lengths of 100 or so feet have been used without a problem supposedly.

I always buy the quad. It's not that much more expensive. But I'm sure the L2 is fine also.

the problem with quad is its higher capacitance, which can be pretty significant with longer cables. so you could potentially lose some sound quality, though the cable's ability to reject noise is better.

to be honest though, i've never seen a balanced system that had any problems with noise. i've run 200 feet of regular XLR (cheap stuff) together, outdoors, and cranked the preamp almost to its maximum (doing some nature recording.) There was no more noise than when doing the same inside with a single 20 foot cable. of course, i don't have severe RF problems in my area. if you do, then consider getting quad. otherwise, i'd say it's probably not worth the higher price and higher capacitance.

thanks

by the way, i only plan to make 15'-20' cables for my basement studio. RF is not a problem where i live and the funny thing is the canare quad is actualy cheaper than the L2 2 conductor....strange isn't it. so maybe i should go with the quad.

has anybody everdone a comparison of the two types?

I use quad a lot, but I use it as a result of sound quality/response, not the fact it's quad.

Please under stand I'm NOT say the sound quality/response is a result of quad... Though it may be; I don't know!

Try some Canare L-4E6S and Mogami 2534 next to some typical twisted pair Canare, Mogami, Belden, Gepco, Gotham, etc.

By the way, every major cable manufacturer has quad cable... So the "theory" behind quad must actually be accepted by most to develop their own versions of quad!

what gauge is Canare 2t2s ?

might be a silly question, but does anyone know what gauge the Canare 2t2s is?
and what it's ideal application is?

we have a few lengths here and not sure how best to use them]
bare ends on both sides

Back