Can you tell me about this Beck Cover song I recorded?

Just saying, I loved the song and the mix.

Which guitar is that? Its sounds so fucked up and awesome.

so, if the difference were between C and Bflat, would you call it a "whole step" difference Greg?

It depends on who I'm talking to. If I'm talking to a guitar player, I'd probably just say "drop it two frets" to avoid confusion and because I know that I'm not exactly sure how to say what I know I want to say. So two frets is two frets and it doesn't matter how many notes, steps, or tones that is. two frets is two frets. Some guitar players assume things the way I do, some assume that two frets = one step no matter what. Since no one I know or play with knows any actual deep theory, we just keep it literal and simple. Move it up two, down two, go to A, whatever. I can teach songs to total dummies this way.

It depends on who I'm talking to. If I'm talking to a guitar player, I'd probably just say "drop it two frets" to avoid confusion and because I know that I'm not exactly sure how to say what I know I want to say. So two frets is two frets and it doesn't matter how many notes, steps, or tones that is. two frets is two frets. Some guitar players assume things the way I do, some assume that two frets = one step no matter what. Since no one I know or play with knows any actual deep theory, we just keep it literal and simple. Move it up two, down two, go to A, whatever. I can teach songs to total dummies this way.

^^. That's exactly how I work if it's a bunch of guys with guitars/basses.

Funny, I did notice last Christmas making an album that I spoke to the engineer and pianist in conventional intervals and the guitarist in frets.
If I said major third to the guitarist he'd look at me like a drummer always looks at people. :p

^^. That's exactly how I work if it's a bunch of guys with guitars/basses.

Funny, I did notice last Christmas making an album that I spoke to the engineer and pianist in conventional intervals and the guitarist in frets.
If I said major third to the guitarist he'd look at me like a drummer always looks at people. :p

Lol. When I talk with drummers, I'm even dumber. I can play the drums fairly decently, but the lingo and rudiment shit is lost on me. I speak in sounds. Lol. I'm like "Do this - Ba-Ba-boom-boom-pow! And finish with a crash crash crash!" :D

Lol. When I talk with drummers, I'm even dumber. I can play the drums fairly decently, but the lingo and rudiment shit is lost on me. I speak in sounds. Lol. I'm like "Do this - Ba-Ba-boom-boom-pow! And finish with a crash crash crash!" :D

i'm sure the majority of the groups i listen to don't know a thing about the lingo - yet, that's where the lessons always start. after my first 3 months of guitar lessons (20-something years ago), i just wanted him to show me how to play songs i brought in on tape - then i learned the circle of fifths and could figure everything out on my own instantly.

Haha...100%
Good call.

i don't hear any effects on his original vocal like you've put on yours. yeah i think you changed the timing. no matter. you've definitely got the feel of it, but with your own spin. i even enjoyed the original, and i'm not a big beck fan. thanks for sharing that

Just saying, I loved the song and the mix.

Which guitar is that? Its sounds so fucked up and awesome.

thanks cmolena do you think it's too much reverb? i was going over the top like in his final version of "going nowhere fast" so i kinda combined two songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=629DLZISOCY

but i think i went over the top and turned myself into roy orbison. ?

it's okay if you guys argue about steps and semi tones i think that's what people do and i wasn't clear with my language. it's a guitar tuned from E down to A, which we were talking about in the guitar and bass forum and some people wanted to hear it. i was shocked the thread was 3 pages and was like "oh crap someone ripped me a new one" and then kind of relieved it was just nerdy talk

oh the guitar is a yamaha fg something or other from the 80s and it's a real hot mess. it has water damage, bridge plates ripping out (why i detuned it), and like 2" action. detuning it made it less tense and easier to play and by easier that's all relative b/c it's still impossible. i tried to get it repaired and the guy said it wasn't worth it because repair would cost more than the guitar is worth. i love it though for some reason even though it puts enormous dents in my fingers when i play it.

This original sounds very much like a straight up live demo.
No processing or effects - Just two mics for stereo spread, set back a little bit.

hi steenamaroo. i thought your joke about his bad vocal was funny. that guy was so mad at Beck

anyway i found this about the song. It looks like it was done in a studio, and since it was only released on DGC (David Geffin) compilation it probably was a studio. Beck was known for one take "whatever happens" performances, so it probably has the demo feel. As he got older he hired musicians to play a lot of parts and things became more polished, but the early stuff was a lot like this.

The Song:

Every time Beck sings the wonderful "Bogusflow," he gives the impression that it is completely improvised. Even on the studio recording (albeit probably done live in one take), Beck breaks out into laughter halfway through. There are a few performances on bootleg, but the song's release on DGC Rarities and its performance on KCRW in 1994 are the standards.

"Bogusflow" seems to be about mainstream music and how uninteresting (or bogus) it can be. This was clearly a focus of Beck's thoughts at the time, as he had just signed with a major label, after coming out of the anti-folk/punk/art world. Nearly every line of the song deals with this in some way. Right from the beginning, he tells of musicians being unoriginal, yet still having success ("Monkey see, monkey die/laminate your face and paste it up into the sky"). To someone as creative as Beck, the observance of so much lack of originality still leading to success is certainly irksome ("excitement level: zero," "new age, old age, totally lame/straight to the middle of the road").

When the song was released, Beck wrote a brief summary for the CD liner notes: "Pulling up roots...again. Stranded in the decaying harbor. Surfing in the oil spillage." Cryptic, but accurate. Being stranded in the decaying harbor with the other musicians who were "exploring the boring to the core" was exactly how Beck might have felt.

Back