Can you save my life?

Johnalex

Ok I think I made a huge mistake. I bough a new hard drive and installed it. I first moved all of my sonar Cakewalk Project Files over to teh new hard drive. Next I went to the old hard drive and copied the Cakewalk folder, which was under program files. Then I pasted it into the new hard drive. Then I deleted the cakewalk in the old hard drive. I deleted cakewalk in the old hard drive. So when I go back to the restore point I get a message saying audio can't befound and it puts up a menu to browse and find the missing audio. Does anyone knwo where my audio went?...or how to fix my dilema?...I had all my last years work saved in sonar, including a current project I slaved over for hours...please help! thanks

Two things. First you need to point Cakewalk to the location of your new audio file. Options>Audio>Advanced and then browse to something like C:\Cakewalk Projects\Audio Data. It may be different, depending on what your drive letter and installation details are.

You also need Cakewalk Audio File Finder (CWAF) which you can download from the Cakewalk site:
http://www.cakewalk.com/

This locates old files and assembles them back into recognisable song tracks for you.

And always, always back your hard disk up on CD or onto another hard disk, checking that the new location works first before deleting anything.;)

You only do this once in your life:( Its a hard lesson, but hopefully, your life will be saved:)

First off, project files (.cwp or .wrk) do not contain any audio. They only contain the project's settings and the midi data.

If you want to move your songs (projects) the simplest way is to create bundle files (.cwb or .bun). Bundle files are the same as project files, except they DO contain the audio data as well. Therefore they are self-contained.

There are other ways to move projects. One way is to move the project file, and then also move all the associated audio. It sounds like you MAY have inadvertently done this, IF your audio was being stored in your Cakewalk folder.

If the audio was not being stored in the Cakewalk folder, you better retreive your old hard drive pretty darn quick.

Assuming the audio is in your Cakewalk folder, you need to do as Paul suggested and direct Cakewalk to look there. We can probably talk you through this, but first you need to tell us which product your are using (PA9, Sonar?).

Ok, I will give my specifications on my machine so I might get some walk thru for this.

Athlon XP
Windows XP Professional
Sonar 2.2

I did a search for one of the audio files and nothing came up.

I haven't done what Paul has said to do, but I am going to do that right now. Hopefully that works tough.

Thanks so much for all the help so far, and yes I have learned my lesson.

Are you using the "per project audio files" option?

Where is your old hard drive. If you only deleted the Cakewalk folder, and you copied that to the new hard drive, you should be OK. The files are either copied onto your new hard drive, or they are still on your old hard drive.

Either way you should be OK - so long as you still have the old hard drive.

As Paul said, the default storage location for Sonar is C:\Cakewalk Projects\Audio Data. Assuming you did not change any of the default settings, your audio files are "most likely" located in that directory on your old hard drive. You need to copy them over to your new hard drive. If you copy it to the same directory on the new hard drive, you should be in business.

Okay Problem solved amigos. The files were hidden in some old copy of Cakewalk Express I had, I don't know how they got there. But I saved them all as Bundles, and uninstalled Sonar and re installed , works like a charm now. Thanks Guys for all the help, I can now clean the shit out of my pants.

I just want to say that this forum h as saved my ass many a time. This forum is a great thing. Thanks all.

No problem. But do you only save your files as bun.s? Cuz if you save your files as Normal .wrk files, you will not see them, they will all be jumbled. Thats why you need CWAF.

But it seems like you have got your panic over. Don't forget this learning experience!;) We have all been there at least once.:(

If you're using Sonar 2.1 it's a good idea to use the Folder-Per-Project option. Then problems of this kind will disappear forever. :)

...and have a copy of Rstudio (and an extra harddisk) or something similar for the times when you partition table dissappears...

Thanks again, I am now saving my projects as Bundles, is this a wise thing to do?

I am doing this so the audio will stay with the file that teh project is in.

John,

After talking in this BBS, the 'project per folder' is probably the best way to save the data... I'll put it this way... if your bundle file gets corrupt, you have to re-record (or test another theory about how to fix it that would take a few solid hours of work) all tracks, otherwise, if you use the project per folder, if one file get's corrupted, it is only one file that you would loose.

Hope this helps you,

Porter

Back