Can you put sounds from ONE VSTi INSTANCE on SEPARATE TRACKS for mixing purposes?

Dear Everyone.

OK. Here's what I've got, it's all legally bought, the only thing cracked around here is me.

Quick Score Elite Level 2 Notation (main music input system - MIDI'n'Mouse, me!) Sampletank Free Player, Proteus VX, Edirol Orchestral, Kontakt, Reason 5, Ableton Live 8.

And various legit. free download effects VSTs - Ambience etc.

Now QSE, which I know most people haven't heard of but it's a GREAT Notation program, has Rewire. I also have MIDI-Yoke. Which means I can wire QSE up to ANY of the above packages, use it as the input source and play back through the packages. With Ableton Live you have to use MIDI-Yoke as it doesn't let you use any effects if it's a slave. OK. Now here's the question.

Is it possible to have several sounds coming from the SAME INSTANCE of a multitimbral synth (Edirol Orchestral or Proteus VX are the ones I usually use) and put separate effects on EACH of them? Example. I write a tune in QSE using 6 instruments from Edirol Orchestral, which is multitimbral (I hope I've got the term right, I mean you don't have to have a separate instance for each instrument.) Now I want to mix the tune. I don't want to render the tracks as soundfiles straightaway, incase I discover any bum notes as I'm mixing. Now QSE will let me put effects on the MAIN SYNTH ONLY, so I'd be putting the same effects on everything coming out of that synth. Which is silly.

I'm hoping that Kontakt or Ableton Live or - at a pinch - Reason 5 (I know you have to use only Reason Orchestra sounds in Reason, that's why I say 'at a pinch') would let you somehow have each sound on its own channel so you can put effects on the channel and the effects would work on whatever sound hit that channel. Which would mean I could try out different instruments for different parts of the tune, change notes etc., without having to render a new soundfile every time I did it. That's the bit that slows things down - if you have to render a new 5 minute soundfile of an instrument every time you change 1 note, it sure eats up the time. And imagine you'd just written a symphony and discovered 2 bum notes by one instrument 20 minutes in, which had been covered up by lack of EQing before then...

Proteus VX won't let you run more than one instance anyway. Sampletank will - but will be trying to crash everything the moment you've got more than one instance going.

So to reiterate. If I rewired/MIDI-Yoked QSE to Reason 5, Ableton Live or Kontakt, would I be able to put the separate sounds from one instance of my multitimbral VST onto separate tracks so I could EQ/Compress/Whatever(!) them separately without having to render them as soundfiles first, incase I want to change any notes along the way? And if the answer's 'Yes' - any chance of a pointer on how to actually DO it?

I seem to remember asking a similar question here a while back but I can't find what I did with the answer I got, if I did get any, sorry if this seems like a repost because of that. I don't have the world's most organised brain, or computer for that matter.

Yours respectfully

ulrichburke

yes,
most D.A.W.'s will support multi-channel outs. I use Reaper with EzDrummer and have once track with the VSTi and all the other track outputting each drum sound individually. I can also load up Kontact on one track with several instruments layered underneath each other and have them output to a separate channel for individual mixing.
I dont use Ableton, but I'm sure you can look it up on YouTube

Back