can volume damage a condensor mic?

aquaman

I have only used a dynamic mic to record electric guitar, and usually you want the amplifier to be extremely loud. Yet I have read of people using condensor mics to record electric guitars. Is there danger of damaging the mic? Are amplifier levels supposed to be lower for condensor mic recordings than dynamic mic recordings? I believe that would diminish the tone quality of the guitar/amp combo. Maybe you should move the condensor mic farther away from the amp?

I suppose a very general question is: What is proper use of a condensor mic for electric guitar recordings?
Many thanks.

aquaman said:
I have only used a dynamic mic to record electric guitar, and usually you want the amplifier to be extremely loud. Yet I have read of people using condensor mics to record electric guitars. Is there danger of damaging the mic? Are amplifier levels supposed to be lower for condensor mic recordings than dynamic mic recordings? I believe that would diminish the tone quality of the guitar/amp combo. Maybe you should move the condensor mic farther away from the amp?

I suppose a very general question is: What is proper use of a condensor mic for electric guitar recordings?
Many thanks.
As long as you don't put the mic in a speaker port (high air movement), you can't really damage a condenser with loud sounds.

Simple test:

Put a match where you plan to put the mic. If the match simply flickers with the music, you're okay. If the match blows out, don't put a condenser or a ribbon mic there.

Never thought of that one! Good idea...thanks Harvey. I guess the same can be said for concerns about ribbon mics too right?

Back