can they be used as monitors?

mathieujohnson

Hi,
I am currently building myself a little home studio.
i have Electro-Voice loudspeakers the sxa100+ I have a pair of those.
i used to use them with my soundcraft mixer as a PA for when practicing with my band, wich i don't have anymore, anyway.
So i was wondering if it was a big deal to mix and all of that with those speakers, they can get really loud but sound verry good at low volumes.
You guys will probably tell me that there is no bad equipement for anything or something similar, but what i want to know is if it would compare to any monitor speakers that i would buy, like will i be ok with those our shoud i sell them to buy some monitors.

I still use them for when i play out, when there's no PA, so maby i wouldn't sell them anyway, will they be good as monitors?
Thanx

The difference between monitors and speakers is that monitors (hopefully) have a relatively flat response. That is, there are no exaggerations or dips at any part of the frequency spectrum. This offers you the truest representation of your music and will help you create the best sounding mix you can provided you have an accoustically sound room with proper tuning.

Now, does everyone have the resources to create such a room? No, but it's at least nice to know that your monitors are on the right track.

so i should check wether it has a flat response or not, and decide if i shall use them or not.
If they have a flat response, wich i would not be suprised, well, at least i hope, anyway, i could use them as monitors. I have no real room problem as of yet, this is more of a temporary situation, so until i have funds to leave my parents house, i'll probably have funds to get a decent sounding room and all i need!

anyway
thanx for your help!
its been greatly appreciated!

The answer to your question is, you can use anything for monitors you want. These speakers will not be as detailed as real studio monitors, but you can certainly make do. Some of the speakers that claim to be studio monitors are not that much better than home stereo speakers anyway.

Back