Can someone please define some of these terms for me?

osion

Hello,
For a couple of years now I have been recording/editing/mixing as a hobby but I have never studied it formally so I am not familiar with some of the terminology. I am now reading this book on mixing/editing and I don't understand some of the words it is using.

1- auxiliary input-
2- master fader- (does this refer to bouncing all the tracks to one track and then the volume on that track is the master fader?)
3- sends- (When you apply an effect on a track, like chorus on guitar, are you "sending" the guitar track to the chorus effect?)
4- automation-
5- dither-

I really don't know if these are dumb questions or not... any answers are appreciated, thanks.

Auxiliary input is mostly just an extra line level input.

Master fader is correct though on an anlog console they usually say "summing"
all tracks.

Sends is correct aswell. On consoles they often call this aux(iliary) outputs

Automation is used on analog consoles for easily recalling sessions. It means that the fader positions are saved in a computer and can automaticly be recalled. In other words: the faders will move back to the save position.

Dithering is, to what I understand, noise added in the procces of converting analog audio to digital. It's a small amount off noise that is almost unaudible but will compensate for lack off resolution. (Though I'm not sure)

Back