Can poor room acoustics...

I plan on building this. It's essentially a wooden outer shell with acousitc foam (that egg carton looking stuff) on the inside. It has a hinge in the middle to make a V shape then the top will also be hinged at the top. I have included a diagram, would it work?

Attachments

• 1.doc
    42.5 KB · Views: 15
superbeatballer said:
I agree, but speaking for myself and the the place I rent, getting a room up to spec. is out of the question. So rejection is key for me.

Maybe this is to bold, but I think alot of people who post here don't have the freedom to go all-out with acoustic treatment, and just want a passable signal.

If I could, I would. When I can I will.

If he's able to go the whole nine, I'll duck out now because I know very little about the science of a good room. I've only tried to get rid of my room sound for good reason.

I can go with that, but don't forget that really you can treat your room for between 600 to $1000 (not DYI). That is about the cost of one good pre.

Glenn

EdJames said:
I plan on building this. It's essentially a wooden outer shell with acousitc foam (that egg carton looking stuff) on the inside. It has a hinge in the middle to make a V shape then the top will also be hinged at the top. I have included a diagram, would it work?

You may want to look into rigid fiber glass.

Glenn

myfipie said:
I can go with that, but don't forget that really you can treat your room for between 600 to $1000 (not DYI). That is about the cost of one good pre.

Glenn

I'm renting, so I can't permanently modify. I may look into hanging some 703 panels.

myfipie said:
I can go with that, but don't forget that really you can treat your room for between 600 to $1000 (not DYI).
A room's sound can be signifigantly improved for less than $100, if you're on a budget. This is not a perfect solution by any means, but it one hell of a lot better than not doing anything and being forced to limit one's mic technique because of an untreated room.

Start out first of all by setting up your mixing desk and monitors properly (e.g. not in the corner, some room between monitors and back walll, etc.). See Ethan's site for more on this (and tell Norton not to block it; you have the final choice, not Norton.)

Get a couple of rolls of Johns Manville rockwool insulation from your local Home Depot. Stand one upright in each corner of your room behind your listening position to act as cheap bass traps.

Hang some naturally high frequency absorbave or dispersive material (thick pleated drapes or bookcases, for example) at the points on your side walls where you'd get first-order direct reflections from your monitors. That is, if you were to put a small mirror on the wall at that location, you'd be able to see your monitors in the mirror from where you're sitting.

Leave the rest of the room natural with its normal furniturs and such.

While extremly far from pro room treatment, the above cheap treat method is certainly far more effective than egg crates and moving blankets everywhere and can go a long way to pulling sound out of the crapper.

G.

Oh sure that works great. But I would put the fiber glass in the front corners behind the monitors (maybe that is what you ment). :D
I like to call this the getto set up. ;)

Dan Moore said:
This is all especially true in recording drums...heads need to be tuned, drummer needs to have the chops to hit the same place on the snare head to get the same type of tone, as well as managing the attack, etc etc. With all those factors taken care of, I've heard amazing snare tracks that came from an SM-57 plugged into a mic input on a Mackie compact mixer. Go figure.

I don't think its very unusual-> 57 to snare sounding good at times.

I just treated my room.

and I can just cant emphesize how important it is I would say its on of the best investments I`ve made.

defenitly recomendable. :)

See that's the main problem I have. Hanging stuff or sticking to walls isn't an option hence the proposed booth I showed. Its not for bands or instruments, literally JUST vocals so would it be any good?

Maybe If I line a fibreglass frame with foam?

I essnetially need a small contaption or area where I can minmise the acoustics around the mic. Would that V stand work?

EdJames said:
See that's the main problem I have. Hanging stuff or sticking to walls isn't an option hence the proposed booth I showed. Its not for bands or instruments, literally JUST vocals so would it be any good?

Maybe If I line a fibreglass frame with foam?

I essnetially need a small contaption or area where I can minmise the acoustics around the mic. Would that V stand work?

I think you're referring to a vocal booth. There are alot of threads relating to this topic if you do a search. In the meantime here's this. Sorry about the load time or if this is old hat.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=3294

My cheapo vocal booth:

In the bedroom do you have a closet with sliding or bifold doors? Open the doors as wide as you can exposing the most hanging clothes. That would be mrs apl's at my house. Put the micstand in between the clothes so that the mic is outside the clothes by about 6". Stand in the bedroom and sing toward the clothes.

The clothes act as a major kickin' good absorber acting on almost 180° of your projection. There is very little left to go bouncin' round the room and hit the mic again. The bed is a big absorber, too. Open up the other closets if you can. This makes for a very localized acoustically dead space which will take care of 99% of those echoes and reflections.

Back