Can one song have 2 different chorus'

JaQsonA1

i have been exploring with some new things here lately and this one song im working on now really could have 2 totally different chorus' (maybe i will post the it later) i just want to know if this sensible or should they be the same?

yes it can

If it works, then it works. If you mean to send it to a publisher be aware that they in general don't like to accept anything but especially anything they can point out as not standard. Like a song with two choruses and then they are likely to think one of your choruses is a bridge unless you already have a bridge. Then you start noticing that there are lots of popular songs that break the rules, but there it is.

I agree with Apple - if it works, it works. However....

If it was me (and I have had this issue before) then what I would do (and have done) is taken the two choruses and developed 2 different songs around each one.

If you are writing this song to try and sell it - no. Period.

If you are writing this song to perform yourself or for you own enjoyment - yes. Period.

The song "Escape" by Journey comes to mind. Most people think of them as a sappy love-song band, but they rocked as well, and wrote some great tunes. "Escape" is almost like two different songs linked together by a bridge. Interesting.

A

Aaron Cheney said:
If you are writing this song to try and sell it - no.

why?

Aaron Cheney said:
If you are writing this song to perform yourself or for you own enjoyment - yes. Period.

again, why?

not being awkward, just wondering how you see things.

Why #1: Becuase no publisher would give a song that like that the time of day. Not in a million years. They want a quick, catchy chorus that hooks a listener the first time through. If you are looking to market your songs as an independant songwriter you must follow standard song forms to have any chance at all.

Why #2: Becuase when you are writing something for yourself you aren't bound by anyone else's expectations or requirements and you can freely break any "rules" you choose. 99.99% of all rule-breaking hits were penned by the artists that performed them.

A

Aaron Cheney said:
If you are looking to market your songs as an independant songwriter you must follow standard song forms to have any chance at all.
Partly true. In terms of 2 choruses I think its very true. But breaking away from standard 4chord progressions and the strick formula vers/(prechorus)/chorus can make the hit of the year.
Angels by Guy Chambers (yeah, the one performed by Robbie Williams) is a good example of that. It has somewhat mainstream chord progressions but does some brakeaway. It has some sort of 2 different prechoruses and a catchy (and slow) chorus.
Its different and the work of a genious, but still follows the many of the basic rules.

You have to know the rules before you can break them. You all mentioned already established bands or artists who have a great deal of creative freedom because of a track record of proven hits. If someone is just starting out, they have to cut their teeth writing what the industry wants before they can start bending and breaking the rules. Not always true of course, and someone will undoubtedly point out the exceptions, but it is generally that way in almost any entertainment venture, and the money makers who put up their capital usually won't gamble on an unknown variable very often...

I agree 100% with Aaron, except to say that so long as the lyrical hook is retained, you might get away with a slight lyric variation, but the music -- no way. Again, this is from a song publishing standpoint.

hey guys, i just decided to have like a prechorus and then a chorus. and i turned the other chorus i had into a bridge. if you want to hear what it sounds like go to www.wwswa.com and click on R&B and listen to Earn It. its not perfect this is just a draft to build from. if you have any ideas regarding how i can make this better i m open. i know it maybe to hip hoppery for some of you but thats cool just let me know what you think.

Grumbles........

Aaron Cheney said:
Why #1: Becuase no publisher would give a song that like that the time of day. Not in a million years. They want a quick, catchy chorus that hooks a listener the first time through. If you are looking to market your songs as an independant songwriter you must follow standard song forms to have any chance at all.A

:( Kinda kills the inspiration to pick up an instrument in the first place, doesn't it boys and girls???

A sidenote

Agreed. The music industry is sick. I write music because I love music. I listen to music because I like it, not because it is popular or even because its on the radio. When you hear of things like the 'standards of songwriting', you wonder what the world has come to. Don't they think that Verse Chorus Verse Chorus Bridge Chorus gets boring, plain, uninteresting, repelling? However, I also agree that it is something to stick to, for some structure, because structure is good. But when I listen to the radio and hear how every song is the same, and how predictable and worthless they are to listen to, I can't help but throw it into the furnace. Who decided that creativity was bad anyway? I will never sign with a major label. I dont care if my music never gets on the radio. And I feel sad for the people who are trying to make money in the business, because they just want to be creative, and they have just become slaves to the record companies.

As a songwriter living and working in Nashville, I can tell you... Aaron's absolutely right. Hey, you might have two hits on your hands. Try option #1- developing two songs because another rule of thumb is the more you write, the better your chances of getting published, pitched and cut.

David

squicklid you hit the nail on the head. i understand that there are standards blah blah blah but music now has become sooooooo predictable and boring, i m like oh my goodness its like i can listen to a song and i know whats coming next with each song. that gets boring for the listener and the creator. thats why i was trying to write something different because i got tired of doing the same ole same ole! its like creativity of being blocked by rules and standards of publishing companies, or is it that the true creativity defined by a persons ability to be creative and spontaneous while following the standards! hmmmmmm

If it is for you... if it works for you okay... otherwise; you can make one chorus a bridge or as stated before 2 songs... For commercial hits... hook hook hook within the first minute at the latest...

Just a thought

There was a popular song with two different choruses published last year, but 11 states passed laws prohibiting that.

Back