Can nearby computer monitors damage tape heads?

BluesPower

Can a nearby computer monitor, say within 1-2 meters near a tape recorder/player, magnetize the tape heads, causing bad sound?

I had a monitor near a stereo a while ago and now the cassette decks give major wow/flutter noise, making them unusable. I don't know if this was caused by the monitor or if it happened by itself.

I really notice the effect of the computer monitor by playing my electric guitar when I stand next to the monitor, the guitar hums and buzzes much more.

CRT computer monitors operate under very high internal flyback voltages to get the electron gun to trace fields across the screen. All of them emit varying degrees of radiation as well! :eek:

I don't know if your monitor is causing the specific problems you described but I do know it contributes nothing good for sure. :cool:

Seeing as you have a studio setup and are hopefully not playing video games on that monitor,(video games are best played on CRTs because the refresh rates are superior to LCD panel monitors), perhaps invest in an LCD monitor for your studio as they don't emit any of the nasty stuff that CRTs do and take up less space and consume less power.

Cheers! :)

Back